1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Support No user dictionary on the triumph???

1. bobafett

bobafett New Member

my auto correct brings up only last names from the user dictionary wherever it is I can not seem to find it anywhere in settings. Anyone have a solution to this because its the only thing wrong with this phone for me.

Advertisement
  2. stef7

stef7 Well-Known Member

I'm not positive about this but some programs have their own user dictionary, for example Swype and SiftX keypads. You can add items to these user dictionaries as you type new items that require an entry.
  3. bobafett

bobafett New Member

I use the android keyboard primarily but my dictionary only consist of last names in my contacts it makes no sense and have not found a similar problem yet.
  4. joop1987

joop1987 Member

I've downloaded from the Market the "Keyboard from Android 2.3" by Steven Lin and it includes a dictionary. The stock keyboard don't come with a dictionary.
    KryptoNyte and PatrickD88 like this.
  5. DincMT

DincMT Active Member

TouchPal keyboard has dictionary which is an option built in for the MT.
    PatrickD88 likes this.
  6. PatrickD88

PatrickD88 Well-Known Member

Having the same problem with the autocorrect sucking horribly. Will try the Touchpal suggestion. Thanks.
  7. PatrickD88

Okay. Still crappy autocorrection...the Samsung had better suggestions.
  8. Kool Breeze

Kool Breeze Active Member

I like Thumb Keyboard:

Thumb Keyboard (Phone/Tablet) Android App Review by AndroidTapp.com | Android Tapp. Android App Reviews

It has a dictionary that learns the words you type the most. It has auto-correct in that it suggests different spellings but does not force correct on you; a feature that I like, because I put a lot of job-specific acronyms in my texts that other keyboards try to "correct". Thumb Keyboard even learns those acronyms and begins suggesting them when I start to type them. What I like most about Thumb Keyboard are the different keyboard configurations that you can set. You can even set different configurations for portrait and landscape mode.
  9. cutterjohn

cutterjohn Well-Known Member

a
    Nope, it seems that the Foxconn dimwit assigned to firmware builds is entirely incompetent as AFAICS MANY problems come down to a borked Android build... plus half-wit users... a DIRE combination...
  10. maileenm

maileenm New Member

I downloaded A.I.type Keyboard app because I wanted the autocorrect. I just moved from an iPhone to the Triumph and my fingers are trying to get used to things. In addition to the autocorrect, the other thing I liked about this app is the option to make your keyboard similar to the iPhone.

That along with the autocorrect has helped me out a bit.
  11. Carol M

Carol M New Member

i'm new to forums. so please forgive my ignorance on how to use threads.
    but here is my problem. my first generation droid by motorola had a user dictionary that was very handy for inputting words that are not in the common dictionary, like animal medications and my own brand of words like PAWsome, etc. the new triumph has no user word dictionary. or does it and i can't find it?
    thanks all.
    love the phone. but need that dictionary. is there an aftermarket application for one i wonder?

12. stef7

stef7 Well-Known Member

Download one of these:
    Gingerbread Keyboard (free)
    SwiftKey X (not free)
    Swype Beta (Google it and signup for the download via their website)

Any of these should allow you to enter atypical words or abbreviations and make them part of the dictionary they use.
  13. juliejag

juliejag New Member

How ya gona just spend $300 and not have a dictionary. im returning it
    :mad:
  14. juliejag

juliejag New Member

I am livid. this is the most obserd thing ive ever heard of. NO auto correct dictionary. wtf. please explain why i just paid $300 for a phone with NO dictionary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no good
  15. PatrickD88

And clearly, you need a dictionary.
    mikel81 likes this.
  16. stef7

stef7 Well-Known Member

Life is short. We've suggested many ways to compensate for the fact the default Android Keyboard doesn't have auto-correction w/dictionary. Actually, it is sometimes good to have such a keypad, but I digress.

There are several very good alternatives. Myself, I mainly use Swype. You really can solve this issue easily enough. In the future, we may see Gingerbread or perhaps Ice Cream Sandwich, but you don't need to wait that long.
  17. soundping

soundping Well-Known Member

I use that one. It's very stable.
  18. b_randon14

b_randon14 Well-Known Member

I made a cwm flashable zip that has the stock froyi keyboard with a dictionary in English and Spanish. Works great. Its in the all things root section!
  19. saintcannabis

saintcannabis New Member

I just upgraded from the optimus v to the triumph and was so frustrated with the lack of dictionary for the android keyboard as i was used to. I think the Swype is crap and the main reason i used the android keyboard was because of the little microphone button that let me easily speak my texts (such as when i was delivering pizza). This is one thing that those saying just use the TouchPal don't seem to get. It doesn't have such a button for this immensely useful feature. Why should i d/l another keyboard, which will just take up more space, when the one that is already should do the job? Couldn't i just copy the dictionary file from the Optimus to my Triumph? If so, where would i find it? If not is there another keyboard that has the little microphone button on the main keyboard? This phone would be almost perfect for me if not for this outrageous omition!
  20. Seanette

Seanette Well-Known Member

SmartKeyboard also has a quite workable user dictionary, plus the layout is better for accuracy for me.