No Verizon iphone until at least 2012

Last Updated:

1. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. oakindustries

oakindustries Member

Which is fine by me. It also fits the pattern the industry already has. New network rolls out (in this case 4g), first 4g bba cards roll out, then new phones. 2012 will be a good year and I get to sell of ton of android phones until then. The first vzw iphone will be 4g it would appear.

3. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

umm question? Other than Apple hanging itself, who cares?

4. Isthmus

Isthmus Well-Known Member

So apple will retain a single carrier exclusive for 2 more years, giving Android even more time to become the defacto industry standard and introduce ever increasing higher spec phones and tablets, for cheaper prices, and under a wide variety of manufacturers. Is anyone else not understanding apple's strategy here? I mean, it was one thing when there was no valid competing standard, but now there is and it is in many ways superior. Allowing that standard free reign to develop further only seems, to me at least, like the kind of move you wouldn't want to do if you want to remain the market leader.

It seems to me that the best way for apple to give Android a black eye would be to make their system available in the biggest carrier. yes they won't be able to rape Verizon the way they have ATT, but overnight the market for the Iphone would increase dramatically, and one hopes, so would the carrier service.

Sometime I have to wonder what is going through Old Steve's head. What do you guys think?

5. RyboCollier

RyboCollier Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

In my opinion MOST(not all) Iphone users are people who use the Iphone because its flashy. Anything made by apple is flashy, popular, and that means its cool to own. Android is on its way up and from what I've seen, most of the people who use an Android based phone are more technically inclined. So, so sum up what I'm trying to say, people will stay with apple because they have the "cool" device that is widely known. When android news gets put in the headlines with the apple news is when Steve Jobs will be in trouble.

6. Isthmus

Isthmus Well-Known Member

But isn't that what is starting to happen already?

7. oakindustries

oakindustries Member

I don't think the iphone subscribers would increase over night. If anything you would have a shift from one carrier to another. VZW will make you pay and let's not forget how much stricter their credit standards are in comparison to att/tmobile. What would have helped was if apple went to vzw before android got it's foot in the door. I still don't want an iphone personally but I love money and would love to sell this product to the iclones on a good network. Even if it works half as well as the android stuff (which blackberry has covered) it will be great for business.

8. RyboCollier

Kind of, remember the leaked Iphone prototype debacle that happened a few weeks ago? It overshadowed everything and thats what everyone was talking about. I think android based phones are getting more and more coverage as they get better and surpass the Iphone, but I don't think they're at the same level yet. I can't wait until the novelty of the Iphone dies off when people realize there are better phones out there.

Edit: When I say they're not at the same level I mean media coverage, and hype. Techically, the newer Droid phones compete with the Iphone's specs quite well.

9. Nitrousoxide

Nitrousoxide Active Member

Contracts can be amended with the consent of both parties. The exclusivity contract has been amended at least once before with the change of how AT&T pays Apple for each iPhone sold from a per-month deal to an up front payment.

They may very well have changed other features of the contract then, and may have changed things since then.

10. IOWA

Meh... thats the good thing about trends or fads though... they die off.

11. RyboCollier

I agree. I can't wait to make the jump to Android myself, im still stuck in the Blackberry muck!

12. IOWA

Blackberry appeals to people who just needs email and good contact management instead of all the bells and whistles. Blackberry is the dumbphone of tomarrow =D

13. RyboCollier

I was pretty noobish when I bought it but at the time there wasnt anything I liked that was out. Sure, there was the Iphone but who wants that? Not me.