No video chat on Droid 3, even with 2.3.4?Support

1. robojerk

robojerk Member

Advertisement
    :
  2. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

I just looked and this phone is not yet supported by Skype either....yet. I'm guessing that developers didn't get much of a chance to build anything for this one because it was kept so tightly under wraps. I hope that's going to change very soon!
  3. Trillian

Trillian Member

I got my D3 today; it came preloaded with Skype. Works just fine.. :)
  4. Barbara

With video? I'll admit I didn't try it. I just didn't see where you could turn video on or off like I can on my computer so I ASSumed it wasn't there. Thanks for straightening me out! :)
  5. Barbara

I just tried with the Skype mobile app as well as the Skype app. The call part of it works fine but no video on my end or on the other end (computer). Either I'm doing something wrong or video chat is not yet available.
  6. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

Does fring or oovoo work? Oops and yahoo messenger with video? TIA
  7. Barbara

I've not tried either of those or Tango. I'm looking for something that will work between my phone and a computer.
  8. xmr405o

Me too. Oovoo and yahoo messenger have pc to phone capabilities.
  9. Barbara

I'm counting on Skype coming through for us and developing support for the Droid 3.(My 85 yo dad has Skype. I don't know if I could teach him to use another program.)
  10. xmr405o

Oh yeah, no worries barbara. Thanks anyways. I can't wait to get this bad boy. Haha
  11. Trillian

Trillian Member

No, sorry, I did not try that. I just assumed you were talking about Skype in general! I have not tried the video.
  12. mikepinto65

mikepinto65 Active Member

Tango works. Cant wait till we get support on Google Talk, the quality is so much better.
  13. b3ck3rj

b3ck3rj Active Member

I am very pessimistic about updates anymore. It doesn't seem like anyone cares to update. I wanted this for video chat. Now I am sad to read that even with 2.3.4 we can't have video chat? Wtf
  14. psouza4

psouza4 Member

OoVoo works, but the callee reports the FFC video is flipped upside down and there was no audio.

Skype made voice-only calls.

Fring complained that my device wasn't supported yet.
    xmr405o likes this.
  15. ryandroid

ryandroid New Member

Could somebody post an APK of a working copy of Skype Video that will install on a Droid 3? Much thanks :D current apks will not install and yes I have "install from unknown sources" enabled. :eek:
  16. xmr405o

I think we just have to wait until a person either mods the app to be used for the D3 or have Skype officially release it for the D3.

I don't think it should take that long since the D3 is already running 2.3.4.
  17. dcthaballa

dcthaballa New Member

I purchased the phone(Droid3) sunday and the video calls seems to work only for qik, tango, and fring...no support of video calls for skype or oovoo
  18. bsweetness

bsweetness Well-Known Member

I tried one from another forum, and it didn't work properly. I could see the video of the person on the other end (who was on a PC), but the camera on the Droid 3 never turned on.

And as for Google Talk video chat, according to Motorola it isn't supported at launch (which we all knew), but it's coming: https://motorola-enterprise.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/69514/~/droid-3---google-talk
  19. redddog

redddog Well-Known Member

I took the liberty of finishing that sentence:

"DROID 3 by Motorola will not support Google Talk videochat at the time of market launch. We are excited about the potential of videochat to enrich the Motorola smartphone experience, and we are working actively with Google and Verizon Wireless to enable this feature as soon as possible...for a small monthly fee!"
  20. SpecialEd

SpecialEd Well-Known Member

Has anybody found a D3 video chat solution?

D3 to computer for me, so I am banking on google talk or Skype.

I tried a few, but they either don't work, are only phone to phone, or suck.

And what is up with the default Skype on D3 not supporting Wifi? Verizon is trying to get you to up your data? Normal skype works fine. I hope they don't release a D3 non-wifi skype...
  21. ekyle

ekyle Well-Known Member

There would be a wifi-only APK somewhere, I'm sure :)
  22. bsweetness

bsweetness Well-Known Member

The default Skype is a special deal between Skype and Verizon that's been around since before the regular Skype that's available in the market. It doesn't work over WiFi because it allows you to use Skype to make calls over Verizon's voice network as opposed to over data. I guess it could be useful if you're in a weak 3G area with no wifi, but beyond that, I've always found it to be useless.

It's up to Skype to implement video support for the Droid 3 in the regular Skype app from the market.
  23. redddog

redddog Well-Known Member

Yep. You can just DL the main Skype app in the market. It amazes me that anyone would ever use the Verizon one over the official one but I bet there is a substantial amout of users out there who just don't know any better.

That's what bothers me so much about this bloat. Verizon forces it on us hoping that we're not smart enough to know better. There are people who just wouldn't know better and that's the target.

Slimy business.
  24. Coho1

Coho1 Active Member

I've tried Qik and Skype and neither seem to support video chat. Skype doesn't have an option for it and Qik force closes when I try to video chat on it. I have not tried Tango, nor do I know anything about it. Has anyone had success using Tango for video chat? Is it any good?
  25. linuxgator

linuxgator Member

I've not tried Tango, but I hear it works well. Another alternative to Google Talk is an app called vtok. It does both audio and video with google talk and works with either the front or back camera. I tried it out with gmail chat on my computer and it worked pretty good. Receiving video on the phone was a bit blocky, but video transmission looked very nice.