No Voice Actions via Bluetooth = FAILSupport

Last Updated:

1. TrojanFan

TrojanFan Member This Topic's Starter

Aug 11, 2010
    This isn't really Incredible specific -- more of a general Android 2.2 complaint, but the inability to access Google Voice Actions/Search over bluetooth is a HUGE missed opportunity by Google, in my opinion. I mean, I LOVE the new voice actions -- it's such a great feature and really makes the phone easy to use. However, it's inability to work over bluetooth makes it difficult, if not impossible to use in the car -- a place it would be perfect for. If you want to use it in the car, you basically have to scream loud enough so the phone mic can pick you up over the road noise and it also requires holding down the search button to initiate, so it's not exactly hands free.

As it stands now, if you access the phone via Bluetooth, all you get is the voice dialer, which only provides the ability to dial names and numbers via voice commands. Imagine if you could access voice commands via bluetooth and create text messages and emails while driving, notes to self, get directions, etc. Since voice actions can also handle calling contacts, I'm not even sure what remaining value the "voice dialer" has over the Voice Actions/Search functionality. At a minimum, Google should at least provide a setting for specifying which voice app (voice dialer or voice actions/search) would be accessed when connecting via bluetooth.

Anyone know if it would be possible for a developer to come up with a custom application that would allow voice actions via bluetooth? My guess is that Google will fix this eventually, so maybe I just need to be patient. It just seems like it would be relatively easy and could be included with an update to the Voice Search app.

2. ikadakimas

ikadakimas Active Member

Sep 17, 2010
    How many other phones can do this function over bluetooth? Actually, how many other phones have voice commands for search, call, navigate, text, and email without bluetooth? Yea, this can't be a fail. Maybe we will see this on Gingerbread.
  3. AGWednesday

AGWednesday Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2010
    We can only hope it'll show up in Gingerbread. Hopefully, Google will see fit to turn this fail into a win.
  4. neyel8r

neyel8r Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    i have Voice Dialer on 2.2 & it works with my bluetooth. good thing, because i'd be extremely disappointed if my Incredible couldn't do everything my Voyager did!

but i would like to be able to use voice for notes, txt, etc. via bluetooth. hopefully we will have it soon.