No Voice Mail "System Greeting" with Hero

Last Updated:

1. zombdroid

zombdroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When I first activated my Hero, it required me to setup my voice mail again. There is no prompt to activate the default system greeting that reads your phone number back to the caller. For example

"You have reached the voicemail box of 123-123-1234"

Now I am required to record my own name or greeting. I just got off of the phone with Sprint and they told me due to "Visual Voicemail" that I have been switched to a new voicemail system. Can you confirm that you no longer have a prompt for the System Greeting?

Advertisement
  2. Ovrdrvn

Ovrdrvn Member

The Sprint phones that have Visual Voice Mail use a different voice mail system then the standard phones. I think that it might be using the Nextel system. I also believe that this why sprint doesn't offer VVM on more phones since it won't work with the regular system. It is normal to have to re set-up your voice mail if you change from a phone with VVM to one with out, the same if you switch from cdma to iden or the other way around. I haven't spent much time digging around but I don't think that you can use the system greeting on it.

3. midwest

midwest Member

Bump.

I wonder if there is an update to this issue? Just switched to a HTC Hero and I also am having this problem. Since mine is a work phone, the standard number header is a plus.

Perhaps someone better than me can figure out a way to record a "computer voice" header to a file that can be added into the system?

Thoughts?

Regards,
    MW

4. zombdroid

zombdroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This is what I did.

I used a text to voice engine I found on the Internet. I simply typed my greeting ahead of time and dialed into my voicemail and played to greeting at the appropriate time. I had to hold the phone mic close, but not too close to the speaker on my notebook. Here is the web page.

AT&T Labs Natural Voices Text-to-Speech Demo

Oh, and I used the Audrey UK English voice. Try it out. You can have some fun with it too. They have blocked curse words, but you can easily trick the system by misspelling words. :) Tip: You can pause the voice when/if needed using commas.

younggreenanne likes this.
  5. hempwallace

hempwallace Well-Known Member

I don't remember ever getting a prompt to record a message and I have not tried to do so. Mine has a womans voice repeating my number and saying it is not currently available. I'm happy with it the way it is.

6. treborcj

treborcj Well-Known Member

Mine has been the standard greeting. The Instinct had the VVM but I never went through the setup so it kept the standard. My advice is to not go through setup. In the Hero it tried again to get me to setup a greeting but I just ignored it.

7. bbv203

bbv203 Well-Known Member

Just delete the recorded greeting after you record it, then it will just say 123-123-1234 is not available or whatever. I believe its press 4 then delete active greeting then hangup

8. armandov99

armandov99 Well-Known Member

Anyone figured out a way to get it to at least say your name? It asks for a recorded name but I can't figure out how to get the standard "We're sorry...<recorded name> is not available..." greeting. I don't want to record a full one but at least do this...is the only option to leave the default one that states the number?