No way to attach a strap to the milestone?Support

Last Updated:

1. Kirys

Kirys Active Member This Topic's Starter

I've taken a look at pictures and reviews ad it seems there is no hook for attaching it to a neck strap.
    I'm pretty used to have my smartphone attached to a neck strap to avoid forgetting it at random places and protect it against accidental falls.
    I know that the milestone is heavy (165g), but my current phone is not really light (124g).
    Is there really no hook?
    Thank you

Advertisement
  2. GDVS

GDVS Active Member

Looking around mine I can't see one, no.

3. Kirys

As I thought,
    Thank you

4. ayshjeff

ayshjeff Active Member

I could not find any hook to hold a neck strap. I have to put it all the time in my pocket. Sometime the slider accidentally expanded by walking motion....

5. big_adventure

big_adventure Active Member

I imagine that there are or will be some cases available to help you out here. I must say, though, I can't think of any modern smartphone that has a hook. None of the iPhone, Palm, BlackBerry or high-end Android handsets have them. I don't know about WinMo, but I don't remember seeing one on anyone else's. The nokia E71 doesn't have one.

6. Kirys

I'm not updated to today phones cause it is a lot of time that I own my current "SmartPhone" the SE P1i. This and all my previous phones had an hook, some of them one had it hidden under the battery cover (there were an ole that allow the strap to be tight on an internal hook).

Maybe current phones doesn't have it anymore due to the weight (the p1i isn't light tough) or style.
    I will have to change habits ;)

Thank You all
    K.

7. big_adventure

big_adventure Active Member

Actually, if I had to guess, I would suppose that the missing strap option comes from:

1. Exterior strap lugs are subjectively kind of ugly, aesthetically, I think that manufacturers want to avoid anything that looks cheap on high end kit.

2. Interior strap lugs, like on your SE, consume space and/or make the phone more bulky. These phones are bulky enough, without adding another internal component. That, or they would have to either leave off a feature or reduce the battery size - neither one of which helps sell a "superphone" :)

3. Dangling your 500€ phone around your neck is just asking to have someone grab and steal it - which just might give consumers a bad feeling about your product, is sure to reduce their consumption of your services AND might lead them to buy a competing product to replace the surely-obselete product which was swinging from the collar.

4. The provider is either forced to spend real money making an elegant-yet-strong solution, or they can be cost-conscious and go either elegant-but-fragile OR strong-but-ugly. Elegant but fragile means stuff breaks, leading to the same disadvantages as 3. Strong-but-ugly means only hardcore geeks will shell out for your product.

I think that the manufacturers basically looked at all of this, and decided that the strap just wasn't that important and that they would be very unlikely to lose business if they stopped including one. Seeing as how even a strap addict like you has committed to adapting to strap-free life, it seems that they bet well?

8. Kirys

I was not arguing about it ;)
    it's just that i am so used to using it that I will have some problems with latest generation of phones.

about 3
    I usually use the neck strap when I am at home or at office etc... cause I have the bad habit to forget to bring the phone with me when I'm there. An in those places I don't risk that someone could try to steal the phone to my neck ;)
    When I'm not at home I do an internal pocket of my jacket, but I do still use the neck strap to avoid accidental falls.

I'm sure that i'll find some "phone bag" that will solve my issues ;)

Cya

9. VetDuarte

VetDuarte New Member

The E71 does have a hook.
    Look closer. ;)