No way to change default action in Favs?

Last Updated:

1. alexthearmo

alexthearmo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys...

In my HTC Favorite Contacts widget, I can't change the default action (like: SMS, Email, or Call). I only have the option to call.

I'm know that the Euro version had the option to change your default contact method for each favorite contact...Did sprint Disable this option on their hero? Anyone else having this problem? Lemme know if you find a way around it! Thanks!

-alex

Advertisement
  2. citycreek

citycreek Member

I found this (I believe it was from the HTC Website):

Changing the default communication method
    If you want to change the default action for communicating with a favorite contact, you must first remove this contact as a favorite. Add this contact back as a favorite, and then choose the new communication method.

1. Press HOME, and then tap the All Programs button.
    2. Tap People. People opens on the All tab.
    3. Open the Favorites tab by tapping or sliding your finger along the bottom row.
    4. Press MENU, and then tap Remove favorite.
    5. Tap the contact to remove as a favorite and then tap Done.
    6. Press MENU, tap Add favorite, and then add the same contact again as a favorite.
    7. In the Select default action menu, tap the new communication method you want for this favorite contact.

==========================

However, it doesn't work. I completely deleted two Google contacts (from my phone and they disappeared from Google as well) and then put them back. I added them to Favs and selected "Call Home" as the default action. "Call Work" showed up again as the default action, same as before. They retained the same incorrect default action, and I can't seem to change it.

Last to Know likes this.
  3. gogogadgetscott

gogogadgetscott Member

Tab and hold or scroll to, press and hold scroll button. Menu will popup with options.

4. citycreek

citycreek Member

The menu item comes up and I can select another action as the default action, but, when I go to edit the record for the contact, I can see that the default action change was not made. My original post contained a workaround, which also does not work for me.

5. Frantic Ferret

Frantic Ferret Well-Known Member

Removing the contacts from favorites and adding them back di work for changing my default action. I kept accidentally dialing when I was scrolling so I changed them all to text.

Strangely, the default now shows up on multiple actions in the contact entry. The Favorites widgit only shows and acts on the last selected.

6. citycreek

citycreek Member

Aha! I edited one of my favorites and found the change was indeed in effect for the "People" HTC Hero widget (which should be called the "Favorites" widget because it only shows Favorites). I had removed the widget because of the problem you mention: trying to scroll through contacts results in inadvertent phone calls.

If instead I open the "People" app, go to Favorites, and tap the edited contact, the first phone number I entered remains shown as the default action regardless of how many ways I've tried to change it. So the information on this screen is wrong. As far as I can tell, the default action only applies to the widget, so it doesn't matter what the contact information screen says. And, if I don't use the widget, it doesn't matter what the default action is anyway.

Changing the default action to a text message or e-mail is a good idea.

That is one of my biggest frustrations with the HTC Hero--trying to scroll through a list without accidentally instead tapping an entry. In some applications the worst that happens is that you have to hit the back key to go back one screen, but in others you end up making a phone call or deleting a list entry or making some other unintentional change to your data.

7. citycreek

citycreek Member

You're right, the favorites contact information screen shows multiple default actions. I had erroneously interpreted this to mean that there was supposed to be one default action for each communication mode, e.g. one default phone number, one default e-mail address, one default text message number, etc.!--but the screen simply shows each change as an additional default action.

Changing the default action directly through the menus, as gogogadgetscott suggests, may not update the listed default(s) on the contact information screen, but it appears to be enough to change the actual setting used by the People Widget.