No Wifi, only wired network with a wireless capable PC - can I take the Desire online?

Last Updated:

1. PeterUK

PeterUK Member This Topic's Starter

So I've only got a wired router.

One laptop running Vista conencted to it that also has a wireless card.

Is there anywhere of being able to get my Desire online without a wireless router? I read somewhere that the Desire can't connect to Ad-hoc networks??

Thanks for any help :D

Advertisement
  2. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Enable adhoc on the pc, then connect the desire.

Remember ssid and password will be case sensitive.

3. 400ixl

400ixl Well-Known Member

You could set the Vista Laptop's wireless card into Ad-hoc mode and set it up to do Internet Connection Sharing.

You then use the Desire to connect to the laptop wireless and go out through its connection.

4. Zvennie

Zvennie Member

There is a program (unfortunately only for Win7 I think :() called Connectify that can turn your pc in a "true" wireless access point. I use it all the time to extend my wifi's range into the garden :)

Maybe something similar exists for Vista?

5. mikebowe

mikebowe New Member

with an unmodified android 2.1 desire you cannot connect to Ad hoc networks, there are many postings about this problem on the web. The desire does not even see the network - I tried it today with my desire and an ad hoc network that I know is good:(

6. mephisto_desire

mephisto_desire New Member

Using applications such as Lookator or Wifi Analyzer, the Desire is able to see the networks, but could not connect to it. Hope that the developper will correct this, as the device is fully able to connect adhoc networks...

7. DC@KIll

DC@KIll New Member

I guess this thread should be in the help section but I'm posting here nevertheless...
    I've just installed Connectify today, but it won't work in the Ad-Hoc WEP mode, and apparently my network card is not supported to run the Access Point(AP) mode, well even though my card is on their website's supported list...
    Anyway will connectify work with my Desire in the Ad-Hoc mode? Thanks!