no WiFi while charging from USBSupport

Last Updated:

1. georgex

georgex Member This Topic's Starter

I would like to use WiFi on the phone while I charge it from the laptop with the USB cable, but it looks like this is not possible. WiFi connection is dropped when I plug the USB cable on the phone. Is it only me having this problem ? (firmware IK5)

Alternatively I wouldn't mind getting internet access from the laptop's network connection while usb connected, but I could not find any solution for this either.

Advertisement
  2. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

go into settings>wireless settings>wifi>press menu> advanced> wifi sleep policy > never when plugged in

3. georgex

I had this set to "Never" already, but still no WiFi connection !
    It shows the WiFi network as "Not in range". If I unplug the cable, I get connected immediately.

It does see other networks in the area also, so WiFi is on, but it does not connect.

It does connect when I charge the phone with the wall charger. Problem is only with the usb connection.

4. Rastaman-FB

odd, ive never seen that. only time ive seen similar behaviour is when the router is in mixed mode and not G only

5. coipu

coipu Active Member

Maybe check that you havent got some kind of power management app installed that uve forgotten about that is set to switching it off?

6. selenewiths

selenewiths Member

That's a strange case, my friend have a spica and even while she is charging, she can search it on google. Have you tried to tweak the settings and tuning in the flight mode?

7. georgex

No, no power management app installed. It's default behaviour with IK5, also with IG8 which I had before.

8. georgex

Flight mode ? No, flight mode has nothing to do with this.

Your friend connects with WiFi or 3G while usb-connected ? 3G works ok for me also.

9. Rastaman-FB

when connected over usb wifi works, i havent tested it with te drives mounted though. ill test that when i get home

10. georgex

I'm testing it without mounting drives.

The phone appears as "Samsung USB Composite Device" under USB Controllers, "Samsung Mobile Modem" under Modems, and 2 drives appear under Portable Devices.

I have tried setting the option "Mass storage only" in the phone, to avoid having the laptop recognize the phone as a modem. The modem device dissapears, but WiFi still does not connect.

Thanks everyone for your time. Waiting for any more ideas.