• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No wonder i'm a android fan

taizzle70

May 3, 2010
Ok maybe this is not the right place to post this but i own a galaxy nexus so oh wells... i used to visit this forum all the time when i owned a dinc. Of coursed rooted it i forgot what rom i used to use but it was solid. way better then stock. Anyways fast-tract to last night i flashed jelly belly 5.6 been in love with it so far. Then today my pops is asking me to put his music in his itunes to his iphone, which i have no idea how to since i never owned a apple product. Jesus it was so complicated.. i thought apple was suppose to be user friendly? So i clicked sync music and guess what, every damn song on his iphone is gone now. Say What??? am i doing something wrong? i love how all i have to do with our nexus is put the mp3 file in the proper folder and open google music app on the phone and boom there you go, don't even have to use any space. yea i had to vent somewhere..

tl;dr: apple is really not so user friendly.. actually i think android is more so

i think iOS is more user friendly for sure...but outside of that....android all the way.
i used to own an ipod touch 1st gen...got it right when it came out. used it all the time, but i still found it to be cumbersome to use with iTunes.
sold it and got a Zune HD (yeah i know...but i loved it...still do actually) zune software was 100 times easier to use and sync. it was a lovely syncing experience.

and now i am 100% android and it is just fantastic...maybe because i use the cloud exclusivley (except for videos) but the simple drag and drop method is awesome.

now, since i am the "technology guy" in the family, i dread going home simple becuase the few in the family that have iPhones/iPods expect me to know how to use iTunes....eventually i figure it out...but it is such a PITA

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
The problem with Apple is its designed to do things a certain way, if you don't think that way, or try to do things "your own way" is where you get into trouble.

They've gone through a lot of trouble to figure out how "most" people who aren't technology inclined think about doing things and set up Apple to work that way.

The issue is that's ass backwards to most people who are comfortable with technology... :p

Reactions: kct1975 and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
now, since i am the "technology guy" in the family, i dread going home simple becuase the few in the family that have iPhones/iPods expect me to know how to use iTunes....eventually i figure it out...but it is such a PITA
This lol..my mother and I both own Androids, and my father and sister have iPhones. I remember the first time I tried syncing iTunes for my sister, it felt to me like a lot of unnecessary work just to get a few songs and photos synced to/from the PC.

Upvote 0
This lol..my mother and I both own Androids, and my father and sister have iPhones. I remember the first time I tried syncing iTunes for my sister, it felt to me like a lot of unnecessary work just to get a few songs and photos synced to/from the PC.

I actually told my mom to get an iPhone because I live so far away from her that the iPhone would be easiest for her

Didn't work

Upvote 0
Hey, we have a pretty well established precedent of moving all Android v. Apple threads to the lounge, so this one has joined them. Thanks for understanding. :)

I had the same problem with my iPod, my computer died, along with a bunch of my music. I still had it on my iPod, but I was never able to sync it or else would lose all my music, since it wasn't on the iTunes on the PC...

Upvote 0
They are both good. One is about sync, the other is about putting your music in your phone yourself. Most people came from windows, even macs have files & folders in Finder. Apple will make a big deal about inventing the new way to eat simply by inhaling, but we choose to keep our hands for holding a knife & fork.

Upvote 0
Then today my pops is asking me to put his music in his itunes to his iphone, which i have no idea how to since i never owned a apple product. Jesus it was so complicated.. i thought apple was suppose to be user friendly? So i clicked sync music and guess what, every damn song on his iphone is gone now. Say What??? am i doing something wrong? i love how all i have to do with our nexus is put the mp3 file in the proper folder and open google music app on the phone and boom there you go, don't even have to use any space. yea i had to vent somewhere..

tl;dr: apple is really not so user friendly.. actually i think android is more so

There is user friendly and there is learning how to properly do something before you try. An Apple sync is easy. You must know what you are doing or expect issues.

You will find Android users have many problems, too.

Upvote 0
yea considering i never had to use itunes i had no idea what i was doing. My question is though... why did itunes wipe my dad's music on the iphone? I just click sync cause it sounded like the right thing to do and it was gone... :( i wonder if i can get them back:thinking:

Your music should still be in iTunes on your computer. When you sync, make sure you check "Music." No telling if it was ever checked or if you unchecked it at some point.

The music is still there and you must tell iTunes to sync your music files.

Upvote 0
The main determination of user-friendliness is how much a user must be instructed on how to use something. For example, a device that someone can pick up and figure out without instructions would be considered user-friendly; whereas a device that requires a manual for the user to use it is less user-friendly.

Even if the instructions turn out to be dead simple, if it could not be intuited without them, it's less user-friendly by definition.

To the OP: I have faced the same frustration. Most likely the issue is that the copy of iTunes you used was not the iTunes that synced the existing media on the iPhone. Or, the media content of the iTunes PC is completely different than what's in the iPhone. Therefore when you synced with the new iTunes, it blew away everything on the device.

My wife, who loves her iPhone and iPad, has a fear of using iTunes because she has been burned so many times by stuff getting blown away from her phone. Clearly, she's just "using iTunes wrong", but she's been burned too much using it the way she thought it should have worked, and now she has now grown distrustful. She also happens to be a user-interaction designer, and a damn good one. She does agree with me that when it comes with Apple's way of media and data transfer, it's really unintuitive, all in the name of lock-in and overzealous copy protection.

The problem here is that Apple's iTunes sync is one-directional. It doesn't care what's on the device. It only makes a copy of the media where iTunes is installed and duplicates that on the iDevice. Technically, this can't even be considered a "sync."

A true sync is bi-directional . Anything on the device that's not on the PC should be preserved and duplicated onto the PC. At the least, there needs to be an option to preserve data that isn't mirrored. Dropbox, and most cloud storage services do sync properly. iTunes is a very backward way of doing things.

And personally, I find iTunes so user-unfriendly that I can't even believe that it comes from Apple.

Upvote 0
oh so since i synced the iphone with a computer that wasn't the original computer it wiped it.... haha wow i didn't know that and i don't know what to tell my dad LOL i guess sorry switch to android would suffice. Google Music is the way to go, so easy to use drop the mp3 and you have it on every device you have a account on. Oh wells thanks for the info though gentlemen.

Upvote 0
I had this issue with my iPod touch, music on the device, but wiped out library on my PC.
What I eventually did was I found an application for my PC called iPhone Explorer. It did a low level crack, that allowed me to copy the music contents of the device to my PC. Then I was able to upload it to iTunes, then sync the iPod.

THERE IS A CATCH!

I had to factory reset the iPod because iTunes didn't recognize it after it was pseudo cracked. Make sure you get everything off of the device before you reset it. ;)

Ultimately it worked, but a lot of the song tags got borked, still not finished fixing all of those. :)

Upvote 0
Apple is very user friendly as long as you do exactly as your told remember any issues that happen are your fault.

All joking aside played with my buddys Ipad a few days ago and was not impressed. They feel like there built solid but other then that not my cup of tea.

that is why we have choices. From a hundred dollars on up, with varying degrees of quality. They are solid. I always appreciate good build quality.

I notice so many Android makers are using the same general iPad design and materials, so there must be something to it.

Upvote 0
iTunes is a giant pain in the rear to work with

Lol you should try Zune along with WP7! tried to help a coworker with theirs the other day, what a mess. WP7 can't even do OS updates OTA. You have to do it plugged into your computer and using the Zune software. And then you should see what happens when you try to get Zune to recognize your phone if it's not on the same PC you first synced it with... what a mess. Hope they wise up about that on WP8

Upvote 0
oh so since i synced the iphone with a computer that wasn't the original computer it wiped it.... haha wow i didn't know that and i don't know what to tell my dad LOL i guess sorry switch to android would suffice. Google Music is the way to go, so easy to use drop the mp3 and you have it on every device you have a account on. Oh wells thanks for the info though gentlemen.

I've heard so many people who ended up with the same issue with wiping the music off their phones. It generally happens when you sync to a different PC than the original one you synced with.

I notice so many Android makers are using the same general iPad design and materials, so there must be something to it.

I noticed Apple is also using features that are from Android and others sources. There must be something to it as well.

Upvote 0

i have friend with an iphone 4. he thought he deleted a bunch of pics over time off the iphone. he used itunes (i think) to explore the phone deep into the directories; just playing around... and found pics that he knows he deleted.. from as far back as 1 yr ago.

it might suggest that ... even though it appears gone.. the files might just still be there... will be really deleted if the space is needed.

:thinking:

Upvote 0
What do you mean, exactly? It is push button simplicity.

If all the stars align properly, THEN it is push button simplicity. If you do a quick google search on itunes deleting music, you'll find tons of complaints going back pretty much to the beginning of iTunes.

Here's a fairly recent example of itunes that's not so push-button friendly:
Why does iTunes keep deleting my apps and music library?

Then look at the complexity of the solutions. Not really stuff the average Joe could handle. And note the vast number of support articles referenced. If sync were so simple and straightforward, why are so many people complaining that their stuff is getting deleted?

My own experience, my wife's experience, and the tons of requests for help I see online when I'm trying to troubleshoot her shitty iTunes problems convince me that iTunes is far from being user-friendly.

Upvote 0
If all the stars align properly, THEN it is push button simplicity. If you do a quick google search on itunes deleting music, you'll find tons of complaints going back pretty much to the beginning of iTunes.

Yes, but if you do a Google search for any topic and there are tons of people having problems. This does not mean the software is a problem. It often means the person posting their issue is clueless.

To be fair, syncing can be an issue for some, but not an issue once you learn how to sync. This often has to do with not asking iTunes to sync Apps, Books, music, etc. You can tell iTunes not to sync certain things or sync only a few things from each category.

Once you use it a few times, it is never a problem. The software does not delete files from your library until you specifically tell it to do so. Syncing certainly does not lead to deleted files; they are stored in your library.

I could tell you how much Ubuntu is a pain in the rear or how much it sucks or all of the problems people have. This is misleading. there is a learning curve after all.

I think people think all software should be easy as pie and they forget to read the simple instructions. They DL, install, run, suffer problems and tells the world how much iTunes sucks.

I finally went back to iTunes because the alternatives began to suck as well. Still not sure if any of the alternatives will let me re-download purchased crap from iTunes or not.

Upvote 0
What do you mean, exactly? It is push button simplicity.
Just hope that the newest update is still compatible with your iDevice. I had an iphone 3G (right after the iphone 4 was released) and purchased a good deal of apps for it (~$50 worth) and before I was fully settled into Android I decided to plug it in to my notebook and update all of my apps. All but 1 of my paid apps updated to a version no longer compatible with my device. Those apps are gone for me now with, to the best of my knowledge, no way to use them again. No warning, no message that this was going to happen or even a message that it did happen. I realized they were gone and went into the app store on my device and they'd start to download and install and then vanish, no message nothing.

I had to go into itunes with my device plugged into my computer, then and only then did it tell me it wasn't compatible.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones