• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help noise coming from wall charger

Went to a very large store today, regarding this and he could not hear the issue even though I had it charged very high to the point where it usually occurs, I even waited around the charger and never heard it myself. Maybe it was just bad luck. He did tell me his does the same thing and it does not effect the battery. I have ready online some chargers do this and it does not cause any harm. I'm not worried about it.

Upvote 0
Went to a very large store today, regarding this and he could not hear the issue even though I had it charged very high to the point where it usually occurs, I even waited around the charger and never heard it myself. Maybe it was just bad luck. He did tell me his does the same thing and it does not effect the battery. I have ready online some chargers do this and it does not cause any harm. I'm not worried about it.

My wife took my charger in today but the tech could not reproduce it. I will have to go in there with the phone when the phone is between 90-100 percent as this is when it normally happens for me. I agree that it most likely is not doing any harm. My high-end video card in my computer also has a capacitor wine during certain heavy duty operations. Some people fix this by coating the capacitors with resin or glue. It's just annoying when you hear it at night when you are trying to sleep. (I work for a hospital in I.T. and must keep the phone next to me every night). Guess I might have to start charging the phone in the morning at work.

Does anybody notice that sounds stops when the LED is green. Last night I placed it on the charger and noticed it started making the noise after two hours. This is about how long it takes to fully charge from 25%. Although I still had a red LED.

I left it alone and the high pitch lasted about 20 minutes. That is when I noticed the LED was green and the noise stopped.
This is what happens for me and most likely everyone. The capacitor isn't working as hard once the phone goes "green" so it stops resonating.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
So my wall charger also does this clicking when it's plugged into the socket, but not phone. After it's connected to the phone the clicking stops with a really quiet high tone ZZZzzp. After that no sounds. Also if i unplug the charger from the power socket while it's making clicking sounds it will keep doing them for maybe 5 mins or so until it runs out of power. Quite interesting sound, but doesn't seem to be dangerous.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones