• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

non-activated Droid... GPS works???

kimixii

Lurker
Nov 26, 2010
Just as the title says, I am wondering if the GPS on the Droid will be able to connect and work without the phone being activated on Verizon. I would have an offline GPS app that has all the maps downloaded so I wouldnt need a 3G connection. Would the phone still be able to pick up the satellites and my position even if im not on Verizon? Thanks.

Richard

This is a very common misunderstanding. Your GPS app may require data coverage (depends on the app). The GPS receiver, however, does not. The receiver and the app are 2 distinct and separate entitites though many people seem to lump them together. All your receiver does is determine your current location using the GPS satellites and all it provides latitude and longitude. Everything else (maps, points of interest, routing, directions, voice prompts, etc) comes from your GPS app.

If all GPS receivers always required data coverage then the standalone GPS units would be worthless. Many of them aren't even data capable.

WiFi isn't relevant. If you're using WiFi to determine your location then you aren't using GPS. WiFi can help if your app needs data to operate and it's the only option for data.

This is why comments such as "I downloaded the latest Google Maps and now my GPS doesn't work/isn't accurate/etc" don't make any sense. Updating Google Maps has no effect on the GPS receiver itself. It's a falsely assumed causal relationship where there isn't one. If there's a problem in such cases it's coincidental. GPS Status is useful for troubleshooting such situations and for resetting the aGPS data. I've needed the latter on a number of occasions.

I have been using my GPS and ran into a bad signal area and my GPS quit working on me before.
Download GPS Status or a similar app. Next time this happens, run GPS Status and you'll see that your receiver is able to determine your latitude and longitude just fine without data coverage. It's your GPS app that gave out on you.

Reactions: SNeitzel
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones