Non-Google Sync'd Items Invisible To Apps?

Last Updated:

1. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have now seen a related problem on two third party apps....neither seem to be able to "see" contact information stored as "phone" contacts.

My set-up: T-Mobile HTC Desire, using HTC Sync to sync contacts and calendar with Outlook on the desktop. Due to the limited functionality of the Google online offerings, I prefer to sync to Outlook.

The handset shows all my contacts as "phone" contacts and all works well. However, both BetterCut (1) and K-9 Mail (2) show issues with this:

(1) BetterCut will not make a shortcut to call or to text a contact. It claims that it can't find any contacts.

(2) K-9 Mail will not look up contact email addresses when you start to type in the To: field of an email.

I have then created a "Mr Bob Test" contact and stored it as a Google contact and this IS seen by both BetterCut and K-9 Mail. I can only assume that it is either an Android or a HTC Sense thing, but I don't quite know what to do next. Neither developer of the above two apps seem to reply to emails.

Is anyone able to test this for me and if using either of the above apps, create a "phone" contact and see if you can set a direct dial or text using BetterCut, or if the email address appears as a look up in K-9 Mail?

Advertisement
  2. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Just to let you know that both google calendar and gmail work offline on your PC.

Anyhow I wonder if those apps can only see a certain type of contact. What type are your contacts no your Desire?

3. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

I think this is true of some apps. I use CallTrack to back my call logs up to Google Calender, but it didn't work until I made Calender sync go via Google Sync, rather than Exchange...

4. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Fact is, I don't want to sync with Google Calendar or Contacts, but want to sync with desktop. HTC Sync let's me do this, but:

Using HTC Sync, all contacts are made as "phone" contacts and not as "Google" contacts. Only "Google" contacts sync with Google, "phone" contacts with Outlook. I have no "Google" contacts, however if I make one, then both BetterCut and K-9 Mail "see" these contacts. Neither one of them will work with "phone" contacts.

My suspicion is that it's an HTC Sense problem and I have emailed HTC about it.

5. SurfXombie

SurfXombie Well-Known Member

I have tried K9, really liked it but gave up as it does not seem to use my contacts, as you say above.

If it could then I would definitely switch.