1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Non-GPS Pedometer app

Last Updated:

1. mrmolio

mrmolio New Member This Topic's Starter

I know this topic has come up several times but I couldn't find what i was looking for. Trying to find an app - paid or free - that works as a pedometer using the internal android sensor (accelerometer?), but not GPS. I'm not interested in how far i've walked, just how much. I often walk the stairs at work, and the GPS either doesn't read or I'll do 3 flights of stairs and it lists it as 20 steps, I guess because I've mostly moved vertically (?). I've got Cardio Trainer and I'm sure it's great for distance, but it's very inaccurate for what I'm looking for.

Any specifics that you like or don't? I've been to most of the app sites - appbrain, Cyrket, etc but there are so many it's dizzying, and I can' always tell from the descriptions if these are just more GPS-based apps.

Thanks for any help!:confused:

Advertisement
  2. sundara

sundara New Member

I'm in search of the same thing. In addition to not working on stairs, GPS apps also want to count any time you're in a moving vehicle towards your steps. It would be so nice to have a simple, normal pedometer that can be left on all of the time.

I just found out about this App - Walttend Lite - and it looks very promising. I just started using it today. After calibrating it, it seems to be doing a pretty good job. Some people have commented it doesn't work when the screen is off with certain phones. I haven't had that problem on my Epic though. I'm going to use it for a week and see if I get results similar to what I had with my old Sony Ericcson W518 phone which had an excellent pedometer built in.

I'm also hoping it doesn't chew through my battery too badly.

3. Leventix

Leventix New Member

I have published a pedometer app. It doesn't work when the screen is off on some phones (it's a firmware limitation), but it has an option to keep the screen on. Also, it uses a lot of battery because it has to run constantly, so it's not suitable for all-day use.

I've got a lot of good reviews in the Market, and I recently fixed a bunch of problems that caused bad reviews. I hope you find it useful.

pedometer - Project Hosting on Google Code

4. oly730

oly730 Member

Try this one pal:
    Pedometer Apps - Android
    Good luxk

5. preetianm

preetianm New Member