• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help non HTC Micro USB cable charging - not working

sirlylos

May 19, 2010
Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone's had this. When I charge with a non HTC USB cable the phone wont charge. I've had it on for the last 16 hours and although the light goes orange and the little battery animates as though it's charging it hasn't budged since I put it on...

I haven't tried it with the official cable yet but does anyone know of any reason why a non-HTC USB cable wouldn't do the same as a HTC branded one?

Thanks,

SirLylos

Just in case you haven't checked this simple option, are you sure it is charging (orange light & battery indicator with lightening bolt remain) during the ENTIRE time? I bought a "The Phone House" (French telecom accessories & phone store) brand micro USB car adapter that came with a standard PC USB to micro USB cord. Depending on the tilt of the micro USB within my HTC Desire (I tested it by using the cord alone in the HTC wall adapter after I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't charge with the car adapter it came with), it either lights up and work or doesn't. I periodically check to see if it is still connected properly (as a slight change in position can terminate the connection) and as long as it remains properly positioned, it works (and I periodically disconnected it to see if the battery indicator on the phone advanced (green battery indicator fills up).

Now I'll try the same thing in the car! I now this means the cord isn't reliable, but at least for now I have a backup cord. What I really wanted was the USB PC car adapter without a cord, so that was extra for me. Hope this can help someone.

I have a question though, does anyone know where I could find a micro USB tip that I can connect to a solar dynamo charger? I bought my charger before iPhone and HTC existed and though I have LG, NOKIA, etc, tips, I now need a micro USB 5-pin tip. Thanks in advance for any help!:D

Upvote 0
I have the same problem - have a number of USB cables I've bought off Ebay. Most do not work with data, but allow charging. (Confirmed this).

There are a couple of different ones that do work with data as well as charging, but the majority seems to be charge only.

Looking at the USB cables themselves, I notice that pins 1 & 5 on the cables go all the way to the front but pins 2, 3 and 4 don't go all the way.

They appear to stop shorter on the cables that don't work. The cables that do work appear to have pins 2, 3 and 4 much closer to the 'end' of the plug than the cables that don't work.

Maybe the HTC plug on the phone is that little too short for all cables to plug in all the way or only a certain number of cables have pins 2, 3 and 4 the right length?

Edit - looks like Pins 1 & 5 are for power, and 2, 3 and 4 for data - so that could be the answer.

Upvote 0
I've just bought a cheap USB-micro USB cable from Ebay to charge my HTC Sensation at work.

The cable doesn't charge (although orange led and charging symbol). Strangely enough data-sync is working....

If you use your phone while charging and if you don't use the HTC wall charger with this cable, it could be that there isn't enough charging current because the phone needs all the current for its operating.

Never heard of a USB cable that only has data wires ;)
But maybe one of power wires is brocken.

Harry

Upvote 0
If you use your phone while charging and if you don't use the HTC wall charger with this cable, it could be that there isn't enough charging current because the phone needs all the current for its operating.

Never heard of a USB cable that only has data wires ;)
But maybe one of power wires is brocken.

Harry
cheeply made usb cables cannot handle the throughput required to charge a device properly
i also found that some could just about chare but couldnt transfer large files without disconnecting.

buy official blackberry/palm pre cables. they are the best and most compatible while remaining cheap

Upvote 0
Don't believe all the nonsense that gets written. Every cable can charge a smartphone, regardless of price. And every cable can transfer any size of file.

The difference in quality between cables is essentially in their shielding. Again this has nothing to do with the function of the cable, but it makes a difference in interference. A poorly or not at all shielded cable will produce more interference, for example in the car radio when you receive a weak station.

However, the bigger factor than the shielding is the quality of the charger. Some chargers produce a lot of noise even with a shielded cable.

Upvote 0
Don't believe all the nonsense that gets written. Every cable can charge a smartphone, regardless of price. And every cable can transfer any size of file.

The difference in quality between cables is essentially in their shielding. Again this has nothing to do with the function of the cable, but it makes a difference in interference. A poorly or not at all shielded cable will produce more interference, for example in the car radio when you receive a weak station.

However, the bigger factor than the shielding is the quality of the charger. Some chargers produce a lot of noise even with a shielded cable.

im telling you 100% that you are wrong and purely talking in regards to theory and not fact.
I have 10 microusb cables at my work for various different things bought at different times purely because of what i do at work.
I can catagorically tell you that some poorly manufactured cables do not charge properly and have data transfer issues. this is for whatever reason like the wiring used is not actually capable of coping with 500-1000ma or the build is bad so there are crossed wires.
there are also issues of the official htc usb cable melting at the end due to poor quality connector.

so saying they are all the same is wrong
you buy a poorly manufactured cable (cheeper than the cheep blackberry ones) you can get issues charging.

you think the op was lying when he said the aftermarket cable couldnt charge but the official one could?

/rant

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones