Non-Root Tether for DroidX? (pdaNet seems to not work)Support

Last Updated:

1. Shemploo

Shemploo New Member This Topic's Starter

With much headache I've gotten PdaNet to work with DroidX via Bluetooth, despite some part of the Bluetooth driver not installing correctly/missing driver component.

I've got the thing to what seemed to be the connected state on my dad's laptop, because he wants to browse at work, anyway.. I think the Bluetooth connection is working, but Verizon seems to be able to tell that its a tether because it pops up that Verizon page asking me to get a payed subscription for the tethering service (the site that shows the pretty chart where they say they want $30 more) no matter what site URL I type in.

Any ideas why this happens? suggestions?

Is there another solution that people have confirmed working for DroidX or am I doing something wrong?

Also, I read that to use the USB connection to PdaNet I had to install the PdaNet Desktop app, which I tried to but kept failing install using the Motorola and Generic driver options, but I think despite this, PdaNet seems to not work right because of that page keeps popping up asking me to purchase the HotSpot plan addon.

What do you all think? Thanks for help beforehand.

Advertisement
  2. Shemploo

Anything?

3. Shemploo

Well, If anyone was wondering about this, I had done some more reading and found out that on USB connection one has to choose "Mass Storage" option for sync type, even just for the software to install correctly.

4. toeknee76

toeknee76 Well-Known Member

so, are you saying that you can use pda net (through usb) for free on the droid x?
    i currently have the evo, and it works great. i am considering getting the x but i need to make sure the pdanet will work since i no longer have the internet at my house. i know how verizon locks everything out, so i just want to be sure.
    thanks for your help!

5. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

Verizon hasn't locked anything out.

PDAnet works great through USB. I use it on my laptop frequently when I'm on the road.

toeknee76 likes this.
  6. NorthVandea

NorthVandea Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that PDAnet was a for purchase app. But anyway, I use EasyTether Lite and it is easy to use, fast, reliable, and most importantly free. Verizon wants to charge $20 ADDITIONAL to my supposedly ulimited data monthly bill for tethering. Screw that, get EasyTether or PDAnet and get tethering included on your UNLIMITED data plan. EasyTether is currently limited to USB tethering however, they are developing Bluetooth for it too. (Not sure if they will add Bluetooth to the Lite version) For added features like UDP passthrough (and possibly Bluetooth) you can buy the full version for $9.99 which includes free lifetime updates.

Edit: Oh and neither version of EasyTether needs root access.