Non-S3 official MHL adapters NOT workingTips

Last Updated:

1. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Just thought people might like to know this as I'm aware of a number of people who have purchased non-S3 official ones ahead of receiving the S3. If you want an official one that will work then have them (not sure who else does at this point).

Not sure what gives here, this is meant to be a connection standard and one of it's purported benefits is interoperability, but Samsung have done something to nerf it. I think they may have altered the adapter to supply more charge to the S3 during MHL sessions, but that's only conjecture at this point.

jerofld likes this.
  2. CargoMatatu

CargoMatatu Well-Known Member

Please excuse this question from a non-techie, but what's MHL?
    HeathenFaerie likes this.
  3. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Mobile High-Definition Link

Master of Hebrew Literature ;)
  4. dwaterhouse

dwaterhouse New Member

arrr, annoying, i've just spent 10-15 minutes looking at the S3 specs, the samsung site, MHL site and various other and could find nothing regarding an updated version of MHL only info that MHL was a standard so all should be devices "should" work.

So, based on that I've just ordered an official S2 MHL adapter as it was only slightly more expensive than other brands and less than half the price of the office S3 one.

If its MHL then they should all work together, if its an updated version on MHL then it should say so in the tech spec.
  5. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Saw a few threads about people having purchased older MHL cables so thought I would bump this thread before anyone else wastes their money. Slashgear et al a bit slow getting to this news...
  6. Endocraft

Endocraft Active Member

Gash likes this.
  7. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

I merged your thread into this pre-established one. Sorry for any confusion that may cause.
  8. Dpopps

Dpopps Member

anyone had luck with one off ebay?
  9. cary328is

cary328is Well-Known Member

10. liteon163

liteon163 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping the MHL adapter I bought for my LG Spectrum will work with the SGS3 I pre-ordered. Seeing how the adapter is fairly new, I have high hopes. But if it doesn't work, I doubt I'll get another one since I have yet to use the one I've got.
  11. Vipfreak

Vipfreak Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Tip (sorry the pun), but... ffs... another $9? Ugh... Might as well sell mine.
  12. Dpopps

Dpopps Member

Now that more people have there S3, has anyone found or have had any luck with cheaper or eBay hdmi adapter?
  13. Ballymoss

Ballymoss Well-Known Member

There was a mention on Cnet forums that Samsung has included circuitry in the S3 so that only their own HDMI adapters will work.
    Edit* Here's what Wikipedia says

" However, it was discovered that Samsung had made a modification to the electronics of the port such that only the adapter made specifically for this model by Samsung could be used "
  14. hizzoze

hizzoze Member

Got a $6 one from ebay. Figured I'd give it a go since it was so cheap and...nothing. So far, can't get it to work, plugged in, not plugged in, phone restart while plugged in, etc. I'm not even going to bother returning since the shipping will take up most of what I spent.
  15. skeetbag

skeetbag New Member

Think this is the right thread to bump. I bought a cable off ebay that worked until my S3 died and was sent away for repair. Ever since its come back, the cable no longer works although the phone teases me with a "Unlock device to use as a media device" message when its plugged in.

Is there any way I can make it work again?
  16. Madbat

Madbat Guides Guide

Ya know this phone has miracast. Wireless screen mirror.