1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Non wipe update from ICS 4.0.4 to 4.1.2 still risk of brick bug?Support

1. Scoboblio

Scoboblio Member

Morning everyone. A week ago I flashed the Spanish official release of JB to my SGS2 via odin. I`m loving the software but battery life has dropped drastically - considering it was a non-wipe update I thought doing a factory reset and re-flashing 4.1.2 might help, but I don't want to get stung by the infamous brick bug.

I'm a bit of a noob with all this, does the update to 4.1.2 mean the kernel has been replaced with a safe version? Or could I still be at risk if I do a factory reset? The 'about phone' says the kernel version is:

3.0.31 - 816988
    DPI@DELL166 #3
    SMP PREEMPT Mon Jan 14 17:26:31
    KST 2013

PDA: I19100XWLS8
    Phone: I19100XXLS8
    CSC: I19100FOPLS3
    Baseband version: I19100XXLS8

I've spent ages reading through various threads concerning the brick bug but my meagre brain can't make sense of it!

Thanks in advance.

Ian.

Advertisement
  2. janvoip

janvoip Member

Added:
    Sorry: Are you an 4.0.4 now? In this case my advice would be wrong! You should only follow it, if you are on 4.1.2 now!

I don't know either, if the 4.1.2. kernel is safe. - But what I know: You can safely flash dorimanx kernel. Afterwards you would have two benefits.

1. Batterylife is much better. - And you can improve it by using dorimanx battery profile.
    2. You can safely do full wipes, as dori is brick-bug-free.

See:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1617219

I am using the same firmware as you and I am impressed by the difference just flashing another kernel.
  3. SCPadgeebar

SCPadgeebar Well-Known Member

Flash a rooted kernel via Odin(Siyah/Dorinmanx) then flash Neat Rom(check ATR Section)
  4. Scoboblio

Scoboblio Member

Thanks guys, yes I'm on 4.1.2 now. I'd rather consider flashing a new kernel as a last resort as I've already exceeded the limit of my knowledge (I was proud of myself just for flashing a ROM via Odin), but obviously if I can't confirm that my kernel is safe I might not have a choice :(
  5. naith_kk

naith_kk Well-Known Member

Nevermind, the previous post I made... (i need to stop working too late in the night)

Safer method would be to flash the kernel with a custom kernel that's known to have the brickbug fix. Easier on the mind.

Following kernel installation guides from experts like ironass, Hawker and the rest of the reputable experts in the forum on a kernel of your choosing, or installation instructions from the kernel developers thread is a sure way to get it flashed without issues. But it never hurts to ask them to advise you if you're still not sure.
  6. Scoboblio

Scoboblio Member

Thanks Naith, I've seen a couple of comments online that the 4.1.2 update has a kernel without the brick bug, but not being technical it's nothing I'd bet my phone on!