Noob guide for Rooting and Flashing using a Mac

Last Updated:

1. armstrj2

armstrj2 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey

As there seems to be endless forums and websites all providing different ways of Rooting and reflashing custom or stock roms, I thought I'd post the way I did it and hope it makes it easier for anyone who's thinking of doing it.

One of the main drivers for me writing this is that I have a Mac and for the majority of the different methods they require you to be running Windows. The way I have done it will work on a Mac but will also work for most operating systems.
    You also do not need to create a "Gold Card" for this method.

So here goes....I think this will be a long first post!

Step 1
    Back up any personal stuff you may have stored on the phone's memory, like texts that you want to keep. Anything that is stored on the phone's memory will be lost if it's not backed up. Pictures are usually saved to the SD and you should have your contacts syncing with Google but check just incase.

Step 2
    Download a piece of software called "Unrevoked", install it and run it. Once the software is running it instructs you what to do. It is very straight forward and quick. This software will give you "Root" access on your phone.
    You need to have USB debugging enabled. Go to Settings/ Apps/ Development/ Usb debugging.

Step 3
    Once you have completed the steps in Unrevoked you probably won't notice much difference but if you look in your apps you'll see one called "Superuser". This will confirm that the root has been successful.
    Download and install an App from the market called "Titanium Backup"
    launch the App and follow the initial instructions. They will include enabling apps from an unknown source and enabling UBS debugging.
    Once you have done this hit the "Problems?" tab.
    Install the update that it offers, only about 1Mb.
    Hit the Backup/ Restore tab, Press the "Menu" key and hit "Batch"
    You will get a long list of options then.
    Scroll to "Back up all user apps + system data".
    Hit "run" beside it, and then "Run this batch operation" at the top of the screen.
    Answer any prompts that appear and once it's finished all your apps will be backed up.
    If there is apps you don't want to back up you can deselect them before running the back up.

Step 4
    Download an app from the market called "Rom Manager" and install it. Launch the app, answer the prompts that come up and the hit "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery"
    The app will not work unless you do this.
    Your phone will restart and it will look a lot like when you were using Unrevoked. Let it complete and go to the next step.

Step 5
    This is where you need to choose which Rom you want to install.
    The choice is yours and if you Google it you will see the myriad choices that you have.
    This is the Rom I chose:

Modaco Froyo 2.2

Whatever your choice you need to download the .zip file and save it to the Micro SD card from your phone. Do not put it in a folder on the card.

Step 6
    Launch "ROM Manager".
    Scroll to "Backup Current ROM" and select it.
    You will get the option to rename the file whatever you want.
    Proceed with the backup. This will restart your phone in recovery and it takes a little while to complete. Be patient!

Step 7
    Once the backup is complete and the phone is rebooted launch "ROM Manager" again.
    Scroll to "Install Rom from SD card" and select it.
    This will bring up a list of items stored on your SD Card.
    Scroll to the .zip file you have copied across earlier and select it.
    Answer any prompts that appear and let the flashing begin!
    It will restart your phone and flash the new Rom.
    Again this will take a while, and if it looks like nothing is happening for a while don't go interfering!
    Once it's finished your phone will restart and boot. Once it is finished booting and Sense has launched restart the phone again. This clears the cache which will be full from the flashing process.

Step 8
    Run "Titanium backup" to restore your apps.
    Follow the same steps above but instead of running "Back up all user apps + system data" run "Restore missing apps + all system data"
    Again only select the apps you want. Most of the HTC apps will be on your phone from the new rom.
    It can take a good while to do this as you have to answer prompts for each app to confirm you want to install it so set aside a few minutes!

And that is pretty much it.
    The whole process took me less time to complete than it did to write this post and I hope this helps anyone with a Mac

Cheers

Advertisement
    erinrules likes this.
  2. teppic74

teppic74 Well-Known Member

Kind of true, but you definitely can't install stock ROMs by this method. And you've already technically voided your warranty by rooting at the start.

3. armstrj2

armstrj2 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey

I've updated the post taking on board what you said. As I flashed a custom rom I don't want to give misleading information. I should have also pointed out that the network I'm with have said that de-branding will not void your warranty but that may not be the case for everyone. Thanks