• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root noob having problems gaining root

I just got an eris offa craigslist, and it's running 1.5, but I can't gain initial root. since I wish to go up to 2.1 rooted, should go up to one of the 2.1 rooted roms?

Follow this tutorial
How To Root Your HTC Eris
Or do you mean that you have the root rom but its not flahing it?
If ^^ this is the case format the sd card and try again.

Upvote 0
xactly. I downloaded the root rom, copied it onto my sd card, restarted it pressing the volume down and red call key, HBOOT comes up, some files unzip, and then, nothing. just seems to hang with no choices to proceed nor "push to activate" option.

Follow this tutorial
How To Root Your HTC Eris
Or do you mean that you have the root rom but its not flahing it?
If ^^ this is the case format the sd card and try again.

Upvote 0
xactly. I downloaded the root rom, copied it onto my sd card, restarted it pressing the volume down and red call key, HBOOT comes up, some files unzip, and then, nothing. just seems to hang with no choices to proceed nor "push to activate" option.

What file did you copy to your sd card? A rom file or the PB00IMG.zip file? When I first rooted, the pb00img.zip file that is linked to sendspace didnt work for me and I had to download it from grdlocks website. You should have some options once you load the bootloader program, like recovery and hboot or something similar if its not recognizing the install file, does it have anything like that?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones