• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root NooB here - Just rooted, and now should I backup?

banzai75x

Dec 15, 2010
Hi everyone. Been reading the forums, and the how-to's and am inundated with information.

I just rooted my Droid X (2.2.1) using Z4. Now I can see the SU app.

One of the guides now mentions deodex'ing. I'd like to make a backup first but not sure which program to use and which options? I have seen mentioned here, Titanium Backup, Nandroid, and Bootstrap. Are these all the same thing? Can I use any one of these to perform the backup and is anyone recommended over another?

If you want to back up your rooted OTA, then d/l rom manager and droid x bootstrapper apps.

1) in dx bootstrapper, hit the top button, bootstrap recovery. let it install
2) in rom manger, select "download ClockworkMOd recovery" Let it install.

3) in rom manager select backup current rom... then you're in binness!

Reactions: banzai75x
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi everyone. Been reading the forums, and the how-to's and am inundated with information.

I just rooted my Droid X (2.2.1) using Z4. Now I can see the SU app.

One of the guides now mentions deodex'ing. I'd like to make a backup first but not sure which program to use and which options? I have seen mentioned here, Titanium Backup, Nandroid, and Bootstrap. Are these all the same thing? Can I use any one of these to perform the backup and is anyone recommended over another?

I would make a backup before you do anything else to your phone. go to the market and download "droid X Bootstrapper" if you dont already have it
once its installed, open the app>press bootstrap recovery>when it asks for superuser permissions, allow it>press reboot recovery>use your volume keys to scroll down to backup/restore, use your camera button as your enter button>scroll to backup and press your camera button again
let your phone do its thing and when its done it will have options in green on the top of the screen again
hit the back button (hard button on the bottom of your phone) and go to reboot phone, press your camera button to reboot once you have that highlighted
your phone will reboot and you will now have a "nandroid" backup.
I would recommend getting the "root explorer" app and going into the "clockworkmod" file on your sd card. press the backup folder and you will see a folder with a bunch of numbers (date and timestamp) longpress on that and press rename.
rename it to something like "stock2.2.1" with NO SPACES!! that way when/if you have to restore it, your sure that you are restoring the right thing
hope that makes sense and helps you

looks like a couple people beat me lol

Upvote 0
Thanks guys! I was able to do the backup as stated. Now that I have done so, I'm going to install Apex 1.3. Sorry for these questions but I'm just freaked out.

One question, do I have to perform the steps outlined in this thread? This talks about installing a theme first then performing the ROM installs.
http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...ing-custom-rom-theme-how-unbrick-droid-x.html

This mentions installing a theme before installing a rom. However, Rooolers Root guide doesn't mention this.

Also, I am already on 2.3.340 and the de-odexer seems to be for 2.3.15.. Does that matter?

Upvote 0
My question is, now that we're on 2.3.340, what sbf do we save on our computers? Is it the 2.3.320 sbf? Because I was under the impression that the 2.3.315 was no longer valid since we upgraded to .340, but I wouldn't have thought the .320 would work for those of us on .340 either. However when searching for a .340 sbf I can't find one. So what's the one we sbf to if we get into a bricked phone?

Upvote 0
My question is, now that we're on 2.3.340, what sbf do we save on our computers? Is it the 2.3.320 sbf? Because I was under the impression that the 2.3.315 was no longer valid since we upgraded to .340, but I wouldn't have thought the .320 would work for those of us on .340 either. However when searching for a .340 sbf I can't find one. So what's the one we sbf to if we get into a bricked phone?
the 2.3.15 is now obsolete for those of us that have updated...what you would use is either the .320 full or the .340 system only ...320 sbf is compatible with .340

Upvote 0
Thanks guys! I was able to do the backup as stated. Now that I have done so, I'm going to install Apex 1.3. Sorry for these questions but I'm just freaked out.

One question, do I have to perform the steps outlined in this thread? This talks about installing a theme first then performing the ROM installs.
http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...ing-custom-rom-theme-how-unbrick-droid-x.html

This mentions installing a theme before installing a rom. However, Rooolers Root guide doesn't mention this.

Also, I am already on 2.3.340 and the de-odexer seems to be for 2.3.15.. Does that matter?

the install instruction for apex 1.3 are in the original post of this tread...
http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...x-1-3-0-droid-x-running-running-fast-can.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones