• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

jaypels

Lurker
Oct 21, 2012
Good day! First time poster and total android noob here :D

Anyway, I had my under warranty note updated to ICS more than a month ago. Under gingerbread, everything was running fine and even after updating to 4.0.1, it was still running good. My problem started when I updated to 4.0.4. The phone locked my sim out and was asking for a network unlock code so my phone being under warranty, I went to the service center to have it checked.

The staff told me they needed to reformat the OS since I upgraded OTA. I backed all my data then I sent it to them. They formatted the OS and informed me that the problem still persisted. So they told me that they would change the board since formatting it did not solve the problem. A few days later, the board arrived and they replaced it. I got the unit back but noticed the camera would not focus. So I sent it back and I was told they needed ti replace the camera since it was faulty. I was hesitant at first as to why the camera would suddenly die when they only replaced the board. But it was fine with me and since it was still free, I sent it back to them anyway.

It was running fine when I got the phone back but since then, I always got a notification telling me a software update is available (even before Jellybean update is due). I tried to update OTA again but received an error report that it could not update due to network problem or to try updating via Kies.

I plugged my note via the computer to load Kies and received an error report that my device does not support upgrading via Kies. I never got that error before they replaced my board. I googled and found that maybe the board they replaced does is not supported in my country or something.

Can anyone help me out? All I want is a clean install (if possible) with all software running good. I was always tempted to have my phone rooted to solve all the problems but opted not to since I don't want to void my warranty. I read somewhere that you could load an official ROM to reinstall your OS without voiding the warranty. And as you know, I am hesitant on asking the service center's help again (unless it is a hardware problem :D )

Thank you in advance and sorry for the long post :eek:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones