noob here.

1. xer0615

xer0615 Member

Incoming: Wall-o-Text

Hey guys, just introducing myself because the little green man advised me to do so. I'm 25 years old, from Ohio. Several days ago I got my hands on my very first smartphone (Which is a bit sad, considering I've always eben sort of a tech junkie.. Nothing excites me more than a new, high functioning electronic). It's a ZTE Merit, with what I believe to be the latest android on it . Works very well for an off-brand phone on a pay-as-you-go network, especially for the price ($100 @ Family Dollar). My only complaint so far is that it only has about 150mb of internal storage.. Granted, I popped an 8 gig micro-sd card in it which mostly takes care that issue. Many apps, however, (facebook, icq) can't be moved to the sd card so every now and again I get errors regarding storage.. but other than that, I love this thing. As of this moment I do not actually have cellular service, but I can use it anywhere with a public wi-fi, and with plenty of free Tower Defense games, as wel as Gameboy Advance/Super NES Emulators, it has still kept me well entertained when on the go.

In particular, I joined the forum because I had done a google search regarding peoples' opinion on the best TD on Google Play. I got to a rather extensive thread with screenshots that was very helpful, and in the thread, I found a gentleman asking if anyone had ever played a particular TD that I thoroughly enjoy (which is actually a clone of a TD found on candystand.com, and the apple app store... yuck), so I joined specifically so I could send him a message about how awesome thatgame was, and at the urging of the little green man in my User CP, I decided to make an introductory thread. I've always been kind of an avid forum viewer (used to be a regular on IGN back in early 2000s, then a scifi forum called SpaceBattles, as well as another scifi fan forum called STGN/SGN, later penny-arcade's Social Entropy++, and now.. well, of late I have had no forums which to frquent. Perhaps this one will tickle my fancy)

So if anyone knows any other (preferrably free) apps that would help keep me entertained when on the go, without any actual cell service, I'd love to hear some suggestions.

Also, I've been using a program called Text+ That claims free texts + phone calls over wifi, however, you get something like 5 free minutes upon signing up.. does anyone know of something akin to this that might actually allow free phone calls over a wi-fi connection?

Advertisement
  2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Welcome to the forums xer0615, glad to have you here :)

Very interesting story you have here regarding your device and such and past history!

I am actually pretty knowledgable when it comes to using Calls/Texts over Wifi. Might i suggest signing up for Google Voice, it is absolutely free and gives you a Google Voice number which can be forwarded to your current number, but since you don't have service you wont have one...

Google Voice offers free texts over Wifi or 3G....not free calls though, that is why i would suggest to pair Google Voice with an app called GrooveIP, it costs a couple bucks but will make and receive calls over Wifi.

Hope this helps and enjoy your device :D
    xer0615 likes this.
  3. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>} Guide

Hello and welcome to Android Forums. :)
  4. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender Moderator

Welcome to AF! Hope you enjoy your stay here. :cool:

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. :)
  5. xer0615

xer0615 Member

Thank you for the warm welcomes, digital, rush, and dragon. I actually have google voice already so I will have to keep it in mind for texting.. It never assigned me a number by which to receive, that I am aware of.. every time I go to use it, it just allows me to login then update my status? I haven't messed with it yet, because It feels a bit redundant being that I already use G+ and FB :p

Rush, do you recall where the term "splendiferous" comes from? I have heard, even used it before, but I will be damned if I can remember what it is from, if anything