• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root {NOOB} I just got an Incredible... general Root & ROM questions

kozzer

Aug 20, 2010
Ok, I'm new to Android and have a couple of questions.

1) If/when I root the phone, is permanent? By which I mean once Verizon eventually issues the Froyo OTA update, will I have to root it again, or is it something I only do once?

2) I'm also contemplating doing the leaked Froyo ROM thing, but what does that do in terms of when Verizon issues their own update? And does that mean I have to set everything up again? I'm actually quite happy with the stock HTC installation (once I root it and get the shovelware off the phone), so I'm not sure if I want to take the plunge with Froyo until it's official.

2a) If I do decide to install a Froyo ROM, which one is a good for Sense and maximizing battery life while keeping the performance where it's at?

Thanks!

1. The only permanent thing is Unrevoked Forever. If you just do a normal root with Unrevoked Reflash tool, it is completely reversible.

2. Yes, you will have to set up your phone again. If you have this installed and VZW pushes out their own update, you do a full factory reset and then get their own Froyo update.

2a. If you like Sense, I suggest SkyRaider 2.5.2 or The Third Wave (I think it's sense based). Take a look through Android Forums and xda-developers for more info on ROMs and which one is best.

Reactions: kozzer
Upvote 0
Ok, good luck. Here is a very good tutorial for what you want to do. Look at the part "Removing Bloat".

Howto: Root the HTC Droid Incredible - Technology - Jonamerica.com
Yes, I've read that article a few times already. Though it will be helpful to find it again easily (since it'll be here in the thread I started), so thanks.

Is there somewhere a more comprehensive list of apps that are "bloatware" so that I won't worry so much that I'm removing anything that the phone actually needs? And once I root I can just mount the phone's storage in Windows and manually move/rename the bloat files via Windows Explorer, correct?

Upvote 0
Is there somewhere a more comprehensive list of apps that are "bloatware" so that I won't worry so much that I'm removing anything that the phone actually needs? And once I root I can just mount the phone's storage in Windows and manually move/rename the bloat files via Windows Explorer, correct?
No. Under the remove bloat heading there are explicit directions for creating a backup directory once you mount the system. You need the SDK and you need to go into adb shell. They also have a short list of things you might consider bloat and it's a good start. That part of the article is critical and you should follow it to the letter.

Upvote 0
No. Under the remove bloat heading there are explicit directions for creating a backup directory once you mount the system. You need the SDK and you need to go into adb shell. They also have a short list of things you might consider bloat and it's a good start. That part of the article is critical and you should follow it to the letter.
Ok, will do. Though I do have extensive Linux experience, and all those commands do is move/rename files (moving & renaming are the exact same thing in Linux). But I'm not one to tempt fate with a new $200 phone, so I will use the command line.

Also, I'm here:
unrEVOked recovery reflash tool

Thanks to unrEVOked, rooting the phone is now easier than ever.

1 - Make sure the phone is fully booted, connected to the computer via USB, and USB debugging is on
2 - Go to the directory where you extracted the unrEVOked3 files. Run the program reflash.exe
3 - Watch and wait. When the program says “Done,” you’re done!
What does he mean by "make sure the phone is fully booted"? I assume that means fully booted into the normal home screen, but it could also mean fully booted into the HBOOT screen... just looking for 100% clarification as to where I should be when I run the unrevoked utility.

Upvote 0
Booted to the normal home screen. Make sure you can connect to the phone via command line: adb shell. Not the root # yet, but the $. I would try from the /tools menu: adb devices to make sure it can see your phone. Then you know you have the proper drivers installed. Then run the reflash.exe and you're rooted. It's really quite simple and worry free.

Upvote 0
Booted to the normal home screen. Make sure you can connect to the phone via command line: adb shell. Not the root # yet, but the $. I would try from the /tools menu: adb devices to make sure it can see your phone. Then you know you have the proper drivers installed. Then run the reflash.exe and you're rooted. It's really quite simple and worry free.
Yup - all done! And I've gotten rid of the few bloat apps.

But how can I change the apps that start up automatically. For instance, the FM Radio starts up, but I will never use it... or at least, not to the point where it needs to be running like that.

Upvote 0
Not sure how you can disable the startup but you can move it so it doesn't show up.

mv /system/app/HtcFMRadio.apk /system/app.disabled/
mv /system/app/HtcFMRadio.odex /system/app.disabled/
mv /system/app/com.htc.FMRadioWidget.apk /system/app.disabled/ (2.2)
mv /system/app/com.htc.FMRadioWidget.odex /system/app.disabled/ (2.2)
HTC FM Radio (thanks goes to Hand76) http://androidforums.com/1274956-post1.html

Besides, you can flash a new Rom now without it. But the fun has just begun for you. Enjoy.

Upvote 0
Thanks!

I didn't get an answer for part of #1: By which I mean once Verizon eventually issues the Froyo OTA update, will I have to root it again, or is it something I only do once?

I guess the larger question is how does the OTA affect rooted phones? Do I have to unroot to accept the update? Or can it stay rooted, update to Froyo, and then I have a rooted Froyo Incredible?

Upvote 0
That's a good question Kozzer. I think once you root and use Unrevoked Forever to turn S-off then even if you go back to stock 2.1 to accept the update from VZW then you can reroot. Most are expecting VZW to close the root vulnerability with 2.2. Therefore, it might take some time for the devs to figure that one out if you haven't done forever.

I was worried about that at first as well, but custom Roms are so much fun that I don't even think I'll want Froyo 2.2 at all now. I mean who the **** wants CityID and all that crap they put on without being able to remove it? Certainly not I.

Upvote 0
That's a good question Kozzer. I think once you root and use Unrevoked Forever to turn S-off then even if you go back to stock 2.1 to accept the update from VZW then you can reroot. Most are expecting VZW to close the root vulnerability with 2.2. Therefore, it might take some time for the devs to figure that one out if you haven't done forever.

I was worried about that at first as well, but custom Roms are so much fun that I don't even think I'll want Froyo 2.2 at all now. I mean who the **** wants CityID and all that crap they put on without being able to remove it? Certainly not I.
If you go the ROM route, then what happens when Verizon pushes out the Froyo update? It also means that you have to reinstall all your apps & data every time you put a new ROM on, correct? (Though I'm guessing it's not all that bad with nandroid & Titanium backups.) And that you perform every Android system update yourself...

I am going to be using my Inc for work/enterprise email, and so my IT department will be getting their grubby little hands on my phone when setting that up. How will installing custom ROM's effect that?

Upvote 0
If they are paying for the phone and service then I would not do very much. If it's your phone, set it up yourself simply asking for the config you need unless you want to show off your latest Rom. Is it Exchange? Titanium backup is golden, buy the full version if you're going to screw around with different Roms. I've yet to find Exchange not working but I use Touchdown and everything, including all my accounts, restores flawlessly.

I believe that once you get a rom you like and set up the way you want, then you probably will not even want the VZW pushed update. But I could be projecting here. Nonetheless, it all depends on whose phone it is.

Upvote 0
If they are paying for the phone and service then I would not do very much. If it's your phone, set it up yourself simply asking for the config you need unless you want to show off your latest Rom. Is it Exchange? Titanium backup is golden, buy the full version if you're going to screw around with different Roms. I've yet to find Exchange not working but I use Touchdown and everything, including all my accounts, restores flawlessly.

I believe that once you get a rom you like and set up the way you want, then you probably will not even want the VZW pushed update. But I could be projecting here. Nonetheless, it all depends on whose phone it is.
It's my phone. I just want to ditch this here work-issued blackberry by letting them push work emails to my Incredible. And we're using Good software (the peeps in our IT department have iPhones). There was a problem with the android version of the Good For Enterprise client not letting the phone sleep, but apparently they released an update yesterday that fixes that problem.

So just so I'm clear on this, what happens when Verizon issues the Froyo OTA and I'm running a custom ROM? Does my phone just ignore the update, or can I choose to ignore it? How does that work?

And, being a Android NOOB, I'm still not exactly clear as to what the custom ROM's really do aside from allow me to be running Froyo now...? Is it basically just an early Froyo minus the damned shovelware? Are there other advantages/features that I'm not seeing in these threads?

Anyway, thanks again for your replies and answers, bjanow!

Edit: Plus, if I try out a few different ROM's, I don't want to have to talk to the IT department after the initial setup, if that's possible with a Titanium or nandroid backup. If that's not possible, then I'm not sure I'll change from the stock ROM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones