Noob, just rooted 2 questions: bloatware and backup

Last Updated:

1. Zhenya13

Zhenya13 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi there,

Just rooted my CDMA US Cellular Desire with Unrevoked 3.1

Two questions:
    1. What is and how do I get nandroid back up. Can some one direct me to a walk through or a guide on how to use it.

2. How do I get rid of the bloatware - crap- my provider installed on the phone.
    Primarily, I want to get rid of USCC's City ID trial, Tone Room Deluxe and Your Navigator (USCC's nav software, pointless since there is google maps navigation)

Thanks all

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

3. Zhenya13

Can you please expand on that. Is there any step by step guide or can you maybe explain this in more detail. I flashed with Unrevoked, so does that mean I already have some sort of recovery, but now need to get clockwork? Where do i get that?

Thanks

4. gmarkj

gmarkj Well-Known Member

ROM manager is on Android market. Do a search and it should show up.

Once you have that installed, open it up and one of the options is backup current Rom. Select this and it'll ask what you want to call it, then it'll run it.

If you think of your desire as a pc, doing this is like making a recovery disc. It creates a file of how your phone is now - what apps you have, how your screens are set up, etc. It provides a fall back point if you have issues further down the road of installing new roms.

5. SUroot

Sorry, with unrevoked you have replaced recovery with clockworkmod already.

From off hold vol down and press power. navigate to recovery using vol buttons and press power to select. you are now in clockwork mod recovery.

If rooting using unrevoked, no need for Rom manager.

Hadron likes this.
  6. Zhenya13

So somewhere in there there is something that will say nandroid backup? or will it just say back up rom?

7. chris100575

chris100575 Well-Known Member

When you're in Clockworkmod (black screen with green text) one of the options towards the bottom is nandroid. Select that with your trackpad and you have options for backup and restore.

8. Zhenya13

When I get there I don't have Nandroid. It does say at the top that I'm in Clockwork Mod Revovery v.2.5.0.9.

I have an option that says "back up and restore". If I go there I have 3 options: backup, restore, and advanced restore.

Nowhere do I have nandroid.

Thank you guys for helping me.

9. Flashman

Flashman Member

Just select Backup :)

10. Zhenya13

Great thanks,

follow up questions.
    1.How do I save a copy of this backup on my computer - where is it saved on the SD card.

2. What is the procedure to restore if I flash the phone with a custom ROM or install a new RUU

3. So will clockworkmod recovery now stay permanently on the device or will it get erased if I update the phone, flash a custom ROM or install a new RUU.

Thanks

11. SUroot

Well you can copy the files to your PC.

If you flash an ruu you will loose custom recover and root. Until you root again, you cannot restore. You don't need a rooted rom to restore but you do need the custom recovery. Probably easiest to just flash custom roms.