Noob needing help

Last Updated:

1. mobile_midget

mobile_midget Member This Topic's Starter

HI, I just bought a Samsung Galaxy i7500 with Bell mobility and i am trying to figure all these threads out and how to root, and how to upgrade my firmware, but the biggest hurdle i have come to is my pc will not recognise my phone as a 'phone' it only sees the internal sd card and the external card. I have downloaded three different versions of the samsung PC suite, and everyone will not recognise it... Am i doing something wrong? am i missing an important driver? all i am doing is connecting via USB, and on my phone i choose to mount usb so i can access my sd cards on my pc... sorry to ramble on but i have been going crazy. PLEASE HELP...

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. chronodekar

chronodekar Well-Known Member

-sigh-

Slow down boy! You don't want to brick your phone, now do you? By default, the Samsung PC suite should detect the phone. Please check the following for us to help you,

Did you install all the drivers for it (should have come with the PC suite)?
    Have you enabled USB-debugging on the phone? (Settings>Applications>Development>USB debugging)
    What OS are you using ? (XP,Vista or Win7) Also, are you on a 32-bit or 64-bit OS ?
    Have you read the stickies and followed the links in them?
    Do you know what it means to 'brick' a phone?

mobile_midget,
    Please don't worry and take a DEEP breadth. We'd like to help you, but the first piece of advise we give is this - BE CAREFUL. Please read the stickies BEFORE you start twiddling with your phone. Also, don't be in a hurry to reflash or root the phone. It's a process that's best completed in a week. I say "a week" because, if you screw up, you'll regret it. So take you're time, and you'll be fine.

Out of personal curiosity, are you a native English speaker?

-chronodekar

PS: Nearly forgot, do you have a regular i7500 or the i7500L version?

3. Lelouch

Lelouch Well-Known Member

I'm betting on i7500L version just cause it's Bell provider (and maybe he is from Canada). ;)

4. chronodekar

... now how did I miss that ?!? :confused:

Lelouch, you're living up to your name after all!! :)

-chronodekar

5. mobile_midget

Well thank you chronodekar, and yes i am a canadian and speak nothing other than english. I didnt realise what the debugging did. but did it and pc suite detected more dirvers and installed all but one of them. when i connected it and searched for a devise all it came up with was SAMSUNG Mobile Modem Diagnostic Serial Port (WDM) (COM4)

it still does not show my phone and all i really want to do is copy my sms messages and contacts and all that is offered within the PC Suite.

I know your gonna ask and i didnt recall which driver it did not install, when i was done searching for driver it had an X next to it,

Thanks for your help.

6. chronodekar

Well replied mobile_midget!

That is a LOT better than some *other* people I've seen around here.

Regarding that 1 "missing" driver, I think we had something of a similar issue here and it might be mentioned on one of the stickies. At least, there was something about needed the official android SDK to install a driver within a 30-second interval or the like (I could be mixing up some instructions, but please don't take my work for it).

I don't know about you, but I usually dump (delete) my SMS-inbox when it reaches 40-50 messages. But, regarding your contacts/calander what about google-sync? It IS an android phone after all, and that should work out of the box.

<searches a few posts>

Ah, yes! I think your missing driver is the "Android Debug Bridge". You can install it by following the instructions here (only the first section applies to you),
    http://androidforums.com/i7500-all-things-root/72037-easy-guide-updating-galaxo.html

You won't need to upgrade to galaxo, but the links there should at least, get rid of the "unknown" device from your device manager.

What version of Samsung's "New PC Studio" are you using? Mine is ver 1.2.0

Personally though, I've never used the PC studio except to install the drivers. After that it was custom firmware all the way !! And besides, using Samsung's suite would limit you to Samsung devices. I'd rather let google do the syncing, so I can move on to any other android device I want.

I hope you didn't get offended when I asked about your English - I've seen a LOT worse and your OP post was a borderline case that I couldn't figure you out.

Cheers Mate! :)
    -chronodekar

7. mobile_midget

Thanks i will try that out, and no i was not offended, i am a labouror so proper typing and document prosessing doesnt come into play much with me, so anyway i was wondering if my galaxy could be updated to Android 2.2? or what is the highest firmware i can put on my phone?

Thanks for the help man

8. mobile_midget

so after i read the last thread you wrote, i connected my phone again and it finally showed up, as GT-I7500L however, it says that my phone does not support phonebook, and does not support message manager. I have already synced my phone with google, but i would like to have the sms msgs i got from my ex so i can print them off as i will need them as proof... I am running New PC Studio V 1.5.1.10064_2

As i asked in my previous post, can i upgrade my phones firmware, and i tried within PC studio and it said that is is not necessary, and doesnt even give me the choice.

Thanks

9. Lelouch

The last official firmware, better say ROM's from Sam*censored* was Android 1.5 aka cupcake and Android 1.6 aka donut (in some regions only). So off course NPS says it's not necessary and doesn't give you the choice.

On this forum you can find unofficial ROM's. Your best choice is Galaxo 1.6.3.4 for now (much better then your stock ROM), but regarding GAOSP nightly - you will need to get your phone unlocked in order to use it without problems regarding google sync (maybe Drakaz can come up with something regarding that). And in order to install them you will need to read the guides in this forum. But if you're new to this, ask if you have some questions or problems about installing custom ROM's.

10. chronodekar

mobile_midget,

If you are satisfied with the phone as-is, you might want to double-think about upgrading. The process itself is simple (having done it so many times now), but if you slip up, you'll end up with a brick (nearly got there once myself).

Now, if all you want is to print out your SMS's I suggest the app called "Txtract". It's there on the market and by default will copy over your SMS's to "download\txtract\" location on your phone as HTML. If you want, it seems that you can email the SMS's to your gmail as well (I don't use email on the phone, so I don't know how well this works).

I just installed the app right now and exported my SMS's to HTML. Once on the PC, it's a simple matter to print the whole lot out.

Regarding PC studio, just leave it on your system and don't ever touch it again. Having owned 3 'smart' phones, I just don't see any value of keeping the manufacturer's apps. I leave the Samsung PC suite on my system ONLY for the drivers that come with it.

A bit off-topic,
    Considering that you want to print the SMS's as proof documents, consult a layer about them. i.e. check up if those prints will be valid in court.

The laws vary from country to country. For example, if I recorded a phone conversation on the phone's microSD card, only the microSD card itself will be valid in my courts (India). If I copy over the file elsewhere (like my PC) and present that copy to the judge, he will kick it out as 'invalid' evidence. :rolleyes:

But lets not get into all that here. mobile_midget, just remember - after you make the printouts, show them to a layer and confirm that it's valid. Until then, do NOT delete or re-flash your phone.

Thinking about odd laws now,
    chronodekar

11. mobile_midget

I did it... Thanks Drakaz.... I used the full updater app, (donated version of coarse) and my phone is so much faster, and co cool, i thought i wouldnt like this phione, but i love it now... thanks for all the help...

12. Lelouch

GalaxyUpdater by Drakaz the best medicine you can get for your Galaxy I7500. :D
    Buy it now!!!

Available near your Markets. For all side-effects ask on Drakaz forum, or Android forum. :p

13. chronodekar

That reminds me, I need to register on the Drakaz forums sometime ...

-chronodekar

14. mobile_midget

hey guys small problem, im sure i have seen this problem on a nother forum but i cant find it... My phone works for calling, recieving calls, can access internet via wi-fi, but i cannot access anything internet related on my wireless network, i think i have selectyed it in the settings but its still not working...
    Any ideas???

Thanks

15. chronodekar

Your contradicting yourself here mobile_midget. But still, tell us - is your wifi network open or closed? i.e. do you need a password to login to your wifi network (open) or do you need some password (closed) to get in?

Now, I hate to say this, but dealing with Wifi can get a bit geeky. You see, if you are on a password protected wifi network, then we will also need to know what encryption scheme you use.

One easy way to avoid all this hassle, is to find a geek/nerd you trust and ask him/her to setup your phone for you.

Or, when you say wireless network, are you referring to your 3G or GPRS connection ?

-chronodekar

16. stickus

stickus Member

Hey there mobile_midget. Fellow Bell user here (out on the left coast. Where abouts are you?) that has had much experience hacking up my Galaxy. You will need to put your APN info back in otherwise your phone has no idea how to talk to the Bell 3G network for data. You're gonna need this page in order to use data without wifi. Hope this helps :)

mobile_midget likes this.
  17. mobile_midget

Thanks that did the trick... I am im alberta, but moving back to BC... i cant stand not having any mountains...