• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

noob needs help rooting

jtudor

Lurker
Jun 9, 2010
ok i have the htc hero for sprint. i want to root it and i have done some research on this and decided thats what i want to do. i have tried to do it by the threads on here but i cant figure it out. could someone please help me with this? also i want to install a new rom and some different features could someone please explain what exactly that means? thanks ahead of time.

Did you also add the latest HTC .6 update on your phone?? That could be your issue

i cant get it rooted i tried using a kitchen and it didnt work and the ones in all things rooted just confuse me can you help me with a step by step on it? also i have the new 2.1 update.

Upvote 0
i cant get it rooted i tried using a kitchen and it didnt work and the ones in all things rooted just confuse me can you help me with a step by step on it? also i have the new 2.1 update.

Kitchen doesn't work with 2.1. If you have the latest update (the one ending in .6) on you phone, you have to revert to the .5 (the first) update that sprint released, then you need to look at this guide to rooting 2.1

[GUIDE] How to Root Sprint 2.1 Release for CDMA Hero - xda-developers

Also, I have never rooted 2.1, so I can only point you to info, I won't be much help with rooting 2.1, because I have not done it. From what I have read, it is fairly simple.....

Upvote 0
ok can you help me with a step by step on hot to revert and how to root please?

I have to leave for work in about 10 minutes. If you want, I can TRY to help you later, when I get home, but I am rather clueless when it comes to rooting 2.1. I am sure if you post and ask for help in the http://androidforums.com/all-things...2-1-rooted-do-not-install-6-4-ota-update.html thread, you would be sure to get some help from someone who has done it. Or I will pm you this evening and try to help when I get home.....

Reactions: jtudor
Upvote 0
ok i have the htc hero for sprint. i want to root it and i have done some research on this and decided thats what i want to do. i have tried to do it by the threads on here but i cant figure it out. could someone please help me with this? also i want to install a new rom and some different features could someone please explain what exactly that means? thanks ahead of time.

Don't know if this will help you out give it a shot, I have not rooted just giving you info I found

C&P

Its a very easy way to root the htc hero. It must be the official 2.1 without the recent patch update because that will eliminate the exploit that permits rooting the phone.(Do it with caution!!!)Im not the creater of any of this, im just explainig it.

*Just need to go to unrevoked and download that .apk file and put it on the sdcard(Its not only for the Evo, its also for the hero)

*Theres an article posted on this site that explain how its done, but just in case is just to install that .apk using Astro or any other app that permits to install apps.

*Click start and done!!!...you just got SU..meanig u can install app that require root access, but u cant flash roms!!!...thats bad but it can be fixed.
*Now go to [GUIDE] How to Root Sprint 2.1 Release for CDMA Hero - xda-developers and download all three files: Android SDK, HTC Sync and hero-root.zip.(If u already have any of the previous then theres no need to redownload it)

*Now do step #2 to unzip the sdk to C:\ directory.
after that step only unzip the hero-root.zip and copy both recovery.img and boot-patch.zip to the sdcard of the phone.

*Then go to step #9 and jump to bullet #8 inside that step, where before says to open the SuperUser Permission and do all after that, meaning all the commands.

*All the commands should work. The previous steps that where skipped was done with the unrevoked app.

*I did till flashing the boot-patch.zip....Now enjoy flashing rom's!!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones