Noob needs help updating to 2.2

Last Updated:

1. dbldwn02

dbldwn02 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone, sorry if this sounds trival. Feel free to point me in the right direction if there is one.

A couple months ago I think I updated my droid to a leaked version of 2.1 which I thought was pre-rooted but I guess it's not. I think I got the update file from here but I don't know which one it was. I'm trying to figure out which is the best route for me to take to get a custom 2.2 rom on my phone.

I've already downloaded RSDLite and I have a custom 2.2 rom ready to go. I also have SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf downloaded.

Here is all the system info
    FW Version: 2.1-update1
    Baseband Version: C-01.3E.03P
    Kernel: 2.6.29-omap1-g7fa8788 android-build@apa26 #1
    Build Number: ESE81

Advertisement
  2. trikotret

trikotret Well-Known Member

Personally, I downgraded to 2.0.1 by RSDLITE. Then I rooted the 2.0.1 and was able to install rooted 2.1. I'm not sure if you can jump from rooted 2.0.1 to 2.2. Hopefully someone else can respond and can lead you in the right direction.

3. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

That .sbf you have there will give you a version of 2.1 with SP Recovery. The recovery mode is the important part because SP Recovery will then allow you to flash other ROMs that are rooted.

I'm not sure if that 2.1 is rooted, but the recovery will allow you to flash whatever ROMs you have downloaded. Personally I prefer ClockworkMod Recovery but you will need to use ROM Manager to install that, which needs root access.

This is what I would do:

1. Flash the sbf with RSD Lite.
    1b (optional). Make a nandroid backup.
    2. Install whatever ROM you want.
    3. Download ROM Manager and flash CW Recovery.

dbldwn02 likes this.
  4. dbldwn02

I tried flashing the SPRecovery file but the start button in RSD never becomes highlighted. I'm in boot loader on my phone and I have the right file selected. I also did the mds check as well and everything looked good there. Hmm?

5. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

are you on windows 7 64bit? If so it can be a pain to get it working. To get past that make sure the sbf file is in the root of your C:\ drive. In other words not in a folder. Close rsd lite and open my computer. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Motorola\RSD lite\ Then right click on the SDL.exe file and select run as administrator. That should get it working

dbldwn02 likes this.
  6. dbldwn02

Thanks guys.

Ok, I took OMJ advice into consideration and just installed the sbrecovery on a 32 bit windows 7 and it worked. I installed a rom and it looked like it was successful. I think it was the nexfro rom but it's stuck at the Motorola boot screen. Did I forget something?