Noob question about talking on phone and your cheek :)

Last Updated:

1. Crodley

Crodley Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

I've never had a smartphone YET, but my daughter has a Droid and says she hates that when talking on it, her cheek touches the screen and changes stuff while talking. She's new to the phone itself, so is she doing something wrong or is this just a con of smartphones?

Or is this a Droid thing and not an EVO thing?

Hey, I told you it was a noob question :)

Advertisement
  2. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

I've never had an issue with it. It can happen with any touch sensitive phone, but it doesn't seem to be an issue for me.

3. hperry

hperry Well-Known Member

proximity sensor on the evo automatically detects when the phone is against your face and turns off the screen. not sure if the droid has this or not. works flawlessly on my evo.

4. unplugged1

unplugged1 Well-Known Member

Yes, the Evo has a proximity detector. My Hero did not and I would constantly hit buttons with my cheek.

To test this, pull the phone away from your face quickly when you end a call. you will see the screen appear.

5. The Dorian

The Dorian Well-Known Member

This.

6. J03

J03 Well-Known Member

I'm shocked they don't all do. My original iphone from 2007 had a proximity sensor. I would guess the droid does too. I think there is an option to turn it off so maybe she needs to check her settings? It should not allow her face to change anything during a phone call.

7. Crodley

Crodley Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Sweet, thanks TONS for the info!

8. JackT

JackT Well-Known Member

Just an FYI - the some proximity sensors have had problems with people who have long hair. I know the Moto Droid had issues with not shutting off when some women used the phones because of something to do with the hair by their ears. If you search the Moto Droid forum you will find some information there.

9. beano52

beano52 Well-Known Member

^^^ This

I'm honestly amazed at how perfect it works. I also love the ring quieting feature when you pick up the phone, so cool.

Now, if I could change the "slide down to answer" gesture to something more similar to my old HTC TD2, slide to the green side to answer, red side to ignore, I'd be in heaven!

10. EdwardChen

EdwardChen Member

Yeah, I was pretty pumped when I saw this feature in action.

The first time, I was on going through an automated system, hitting 1 for English, etc. I thought, wow, the phone knows when it expects me to enter a number on the keypad, then I realized the next day that the screen comes on every time I move it from my face.

11. nomunk

nomunk Well-Known Member

guys HELP please, im having the same problem, my problem is when im done with a phone call and ready to hang up, when i take the phone away from my face the screen just keeps flashing instead of staying lit up so i can press End Call to hang up the phone, is this a problem with my proximity sensor, and should i take the EVO back because this is the only problem i have with my phone

12. sitlet

sitlet Banned

I would try a hard reset first. If its a problem with the sensor, it would do that during the call too.

13. musikat

musikat Well-Known Member

The Moment had problems with the sensor. I constantly would feel vibration on my cheek from hitting either the mute or speaker buttons on the screen. It was annoying. Never heard of droid having that issue and my partner has one. The Evo works flawlessly in that department, for me at least. And I do have long hair. :)

14. nomunk

nomunk Well-Known Member

how do i do a hard reset on the EVO