Noob question: difference between ROM and RUU

Last Updated:

1. Zhenya13

Zhenya13 Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys,

Just got my CDMA Desire from US Cellular, and before I start attempting to mess with it I want to learn all the basics.

I apologize for the noob question, but after reading the forums for a while I can't figure this out.

What is the difference between ROM and RUU?
    The way I understand it ROM is like an OS or the shell of the phone software.
    What is RUU? I always see it on the forums as being talked about as a original HTC RUU. Does this mean that RUU is simply the stock ROM made by HTC. I thought that the stock HTC ROM is Sense.

Thanks all

Advertisement
  2. DragosP

DragosP Active Member

The custom ROM is a colection of software to run properly a electronic device, in our case the phone.
    The RUU is the acronym is ROM Update Utility, wich bringing the phone in the initial state: stock rom, stock recovery, stock hboot. And, of course, NO root. Only good for waranty.

3. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

the ROM is basically the android operating system, sense ui, and the standard apps contained in a file that is loaded onto the phone.

RUU as stated above is a Rom Update Utility, an executable file that checks the phone, prepares it and installs the ROM contained within it onto your handset.

4. Zhenya13

Zhenya13 Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you guys. This makes it much clearer now.

So if I want to go from 2.1 to Froyo I either need to get a custom ROM or get a Froyo RUU that was built for my Desire - CDMA one?