Noob Question on rooting the Eris

Last Updated:

1. Brainfart

Brainfart Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I searched and could not find specific answers to what i was looking for so here goes. Please forgive me if there is a post covering this but I could not find it.

OK I saw a similar post in the Incredible sections but I want to make sure it is the same with the Eris.
    My question is when you root the Eris is anything lost such as data on the phone that will have to be re-installed? Or is does it wipe the phone? I would prefer not to have to re-install but I will if it is necessary.

Also will I be able to receive any further OTA updates? I know that the one scheduled for tomorrow is most likely the last that this phone will see but just in case I want all of my bases covered.

I would also like to take advantage of possibly putting 2.2 on it if there is not an official release so I can take advantage of the awesome features that 2.2 offers. I really don't care about loosing SenseUi because I use Launcher Pro and love it and prefer not to switch back to SenseUi.

One more thing. I really want to take out certain apps that came with the phone that are only a nuisance to me such as amazonmp3, Stocks, Tweet & google talk. And of course take advantage of the apps that are available only to rooted phones.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member

- Yes you have to do a wipe, but this does not affect your SD card at all (photos, music, etc). Your contacts should be synced with Google (go to www.google.com/contacts to double-check before wiping) so they will automatically come back when you sign in with your phone.
    - OTA is usually disabled in the ROMs
    - OTA updates may be incorporated into future updates of the ROMs, if the developers feel like it and/or are able to
    - 2.2 looks like it's coming along pretty nicely
    - You can delete any apps you want ;)

I was hesitant about rooting, but now I'm glad I did and I wish I would've done it months ago! It's well worth it, especially if you love customizing/tweaking.

3. DDustiNN

Also, I used AppBrain (available in the Market) to keep a list of my installed apps. Just log into it, then Sync it. Once you flash your new ROM, download AppBrain again, log in, and it will show you the list of apps you previously had. Click each one to install them from the Market. Pretty quick... only took me about 15 mins to get everything back (lots of apps, haha).

There is also the failsafe app called AppList, which simply creates a text document listing all of your installed apps. I did that *just in case* something went wrong with AppBrain, at least I'd have a reference to go to. Didn't need it though.

One of my favorite things about being rooted is using Apps2SD. Just partition your SD card, flash a ROM with a2sd, and enjoy your newfound app storage space! I love it :D

4. DDustiNN

Actually, it looks like there is a new way to root, and doesn't look like it requires a wipe:

Easy Root For All Eris Devies - xda-developers

I think this should give you root access and the recovery menu (used for flashing roms, performing Nandroid backup/restores, partitioning SD card, etc).

However, flashing a custom ROM will usually require a wipe ;)

Brainfart likes this.
  5. Brainfart

Brainfart Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Awesome thanks for that info it was really helpful! I'm really not wanting to put a custom rom on the phone hopefully just to root it for all other features listed above though. I'll check out that link you posted and hope its not a wipe but I guess it's not that big of a deal since I use google to sync my contacts anyway.

Thanks Again!