Noob Questions About Root

Last Updated:

1. hhankpelfreyy

hhankpelfreyy Member This Topic's Starter

When I read the 1.5 to 2.1 root guide, I was confused about step two. Could anyone explain more? Also, I use a mac and only have an extremely basic knowledge about the SDK.. Sorry for the inconvince.:eek:

Advertisement
  2. hhankpelfreyy

Is This Correct?

1. Find the recovery image you want and MAKE SURE IT IS FOR YOUR PHONE (should say in where you download it what phone it is for).​
    2. Write down the filename of the recovery image EXACTLY as it is written (i.e. RA-Hero-Recovery-v1.2.2.img).​
    3. Put the recovery image file on the SD card (not in any folders).​
    4. Download Terminal from the Market if you don’t already have it and install it (there are a few different terminals in the Market some have an onscreen keyboard and some don’t experiment till you get one, also hold down Menu in some of them to bring up the onscreen keyboard if you don’t see it).​
    5. Open the Terminal program and type the following (with hitting enter at the end of each line):​
    su
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/name-of-recovery.img​
    6. In the above text, replace name-of-recovery.img with the name of your recovery image (make sure the .img is on the end).​
    7. Phone should pause for a second and then show you a new blank line. Turn it off and back on by holding down Home and Power to ensure it flashed correctly. Done.

(You know, for the Amon recovery thing for eris)

3. T2noob

T2noob Well-Known Member

mmm try this How To Root Your HTC Eris << this one seems a little less confusing.

4. ///Nick

///Nick Member

I think I can make a write up for you and other mac users. Just so there isnt any more questions.

5. GrdLock

GrdLock Well-Known Member

The Mac steps are exactly same as the Windows steps, except you run commands "./adb blahblah" instead of "adb blah blah" (assuming you don't have your tools folder in your path that is.

6. hhankpelfreyy

thanks to every one who helped me, including the people on the irc channel and here in the forums, my eris is now rooted w/ amon ra's recovery img and running grdlocks beta rom