Noob Root Questions

Last Updated:

1. Danielson2047

Danielson2047 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, i'm now rooted (yay!!!) using OMJs rooting guide on stock 2.2. Now, about backing up. I had backed up with Astro, so i got all my apps backed up. But when i went into Market -> Downloads, only a couple showed up, as in no update notifications (i'm assuming). They were all on my phone, ran fine, just weren't listed on the Market. I freaked and went through ea one individually hitting install and then it appeared in the market list. Is there an app that i can use to avoid this headache? I'd love to try some new roms, but this is kind of a hassle. I've heard Titanium backup, but i need '"busybox" and its not in the market. I also tried making a Nandroid backup, but got "error 31". Does Nandroid even back up apps or just settings? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, you guys are awesome. Hopefully someday i'll be helpin guys like me do this stuff.

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Titanium will do all of the above in one app - make backups of your apps as well as fix your market links. And Titanium comes with busybox, which should *technically* already be on your phone if you're rooted, but if you're not it has the ability to install it.

A Nandroid backup, when left on a default backup, backs up everything - system, kernel, data, cache, etc. SPRecovery does all that, ClockWorkMod does a bit more (it also looks, for example, for .andriod-secure, which I believe is where the Apps2SD function stores the apps on your SDCard.

Also, if you enable backup your settings and allow it to restore them on activation, (Settings --> Account --> select your accout --> menu key --> preferences),
    then when you change ROMs and such you are able to perform the requisite factory resets, and then upon activating your phone will automatically download and reinstall all your apps from before.

However, for those times that the Internet is simply not playing nicely, Titanium Backup (or, TiBu, as I call it) is a great 'backup plan', for when the Google account settings do not actually restore your apps and such.

3. Danielson2047

Okay, i got Titanium installed and i needed to hit "problems" to install busybox. Now, i'm assuming to use it i go to backup/restore->more->create "update.zip". Then theres to sections, 1st "Titanium Backup will be installed as:" with the options "user application" or "system application". Then, select name of output file with the options "update.zip" or "TitaniumBackup-3.3.6.zip". Which options do i select? Then i'm assuming i go to SPRecovery and boot it as usual if needed?

4. johnlgalt

well, you can do that, or you can just back up the apps using the batch method. Press the menu key, then select batch, and you gte a whole slew of choices. Safest bet is to backup all apps and system data.

Making the update.zip means you have to remake it every time an app changes, and that can take some time, and is especially cumbersome if you have a lot of apps (I have 160+ installed, and between 3-7 apps are updated every day).

However, with the update.zip, what you *can* then do is to install a new ROM, then instead of rebooting, do an additional step - install the update.zip - so when you log then reboot your phone, all should be good - but that can also lead to problems with unforeseen apps trying to start when the system isn't fully set up.

You best bet is to use the batch method for making backups.

I'd also *highly* advise that you visit Joel's site for more detailed info - and don't just skim it, read it thoroughly. This is a very powerful tool - in both good and bad ways, depending upon how you (mis)use it.

5. Danielson2047

I found an app called AppMonster that seems to do what i want. I really don't care about or have anything on my phone that can't be replaced. As long as my contacts are in the cloud with good ole google i'm set. Going through every app could be a pain though. That was my main concern. I really don't plan on getting TOO into rooting, just wanted tthe GOOD 2.2. Oh yeah, whats this "clockworldmod" i keep seeing? Is it an alternative to SPRecovery?

6. johnlgalt

You don't go through every app individually - that is why it is called a batch - it does all that for you - by default it does everything, but you can manually remove items that you don't want - same for restoring.

I make a backup of all apps + system data, and then restore all apps + Data, but not system data, b/c it never seems to works for me. Contacts are already synched, as are Tasks and Calendar stuff, so the only thing I also need is SMS - and for that I currently use SMS backup (although I am moving all my SMS to Google Voice shortly, so I won't need that anymore either.

7. Danielson2047

Sorry, by one at a time i was referring to how my dumb brain was doing it earlier. So if the phone goes haywire and you can't boot or something all the way, how would you apply the backup?

8. johnlgalt

That is the beauty of making a Nandroid backup *before* you install a new ROM - then you restore your old (or not so old) backup.

Playing with ROMs is a great thing, it let's you find exactly the right ROM and theme combination for you - but you absolutely have to make backups over and over and over again. If you don't, one day you'll be sorry.

9. johnlgalt

Sorry, dude, would love to continue this, but it is almost 4 AM here - I need to get some sleep.

I hope someone else comes along to keep answering your questions, but if not, I'll be back here in ~12 hours.

10. Danielson2047

LOL i prob should go to bed soon as well, almost 3 am here. Ah hell, wife's off tomorrow, she can watch the kid. Anyways, i just made a simple nandroid backup. So these are fool proof, as in anything goes awry i just reboot it in the loader and i'm good?

11. havi007

havi007 Well-Known Member

I would love to know how ur doing this sms to google voice ... are you using an app? Is automatic? sync? U set the sync? Or what because I been using g backup and that backs up my texts and call logs to my gmail immediately and I would love to have send to my gv account