Noob Rooter i guess?

Last Updated:

1. War Eagle

War Eagle Member This Topic's Starter

So i'm new to the Android community. Jailbreaking an iPhone was way easy and i'm under the impression that rooting is pretty much Android jailbreak.

So, what exactly is a root? Once i've rooted and I install a ROM, what if I have to send my phone in to Google how do I restore it to the original firmware? What do I need to download to make my N1 look like Desire's Sense UI?

Is there just like a big guide that tells you how to do all that stuff?

Advertisement
  2. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

3. War Eagle

I'm not asking how to root it. I've read how to root it... I asked what I needed to download to get the Sense UI and after i've installed a ROM how do I go back to the original. That's what I asked not how to root as your let me google that for you bullcrap showed. And if you don't want to answer, don't. This is a message board I can ask questions. You don't have to answer them but dont come trolling in my thread.

Thank you.

4. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Hey! Take it easy, just a little humor. You should check out the first link though, actually, since the Unlockr has a pretty good guide on how to load custom ROMS, as well as a database of them.

By the way, this was your question. Doesn't really state that you already rooted, does it?

Just follow the procedures the Unlockr lays out and you will be running the Sense UI ROM in no time.

And if you ever need to return to stock:

EPE54B Android 2.1- Stock ROM for Nexus One Leaked | Gadgets DNA

War Eagle likes this.
  5. War Eagle

Thank you so much. And sorry about that... Didn't know if you were just being funny or being a ding a ling.. sorry.

6. War Eagle

Riddle me this I was reading Modaco(sp?) thread on the desire rom and he says you might not want to use it as a main rom? is it possible to run multiple roms or something?

Also, what is the kitchen thing?

7. mudrock1000

mudrock1000 Well-Known Member

No it isn't. Just create Nandroid backups of roms though. It's essentially the same thing. It's easy. (I'd reccomend hunting down aplha 18 rather than r20. I made the mistake of upgrading without reading anything >.> I think it works good as a main rom.

The kitchen allows you to pick what you have in your rom, if you want to have some default google apps, like the 3d gallery, or if you want to have modaco's additions (wave secure. I wouldn't get rid of that if you care about your phone being stolen)

War Eagle likes this.
  8. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

kitchen = baking your own custom ROM (from the available options)

modaco desire ROM =/= main ROM because it's still in alpha phase... not even beta...

9. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

Why are you telling him if he wants to go back to stock to send it in to look at that? Kind of a shady half truth, imho, since its not a Droid, he can't lock up the bootloader.

10. War Eagle

Where can I find the r18 you guys speak of? I have 21 downloaded but im not gonna put it on since you guys said r18 is the better one.

11. mudrock1000

mudrock1000 Well-Known Member

21 is out? Well read some of the recent comments and find out if people like it. I lost my copy of 18. Otherwise I'd post it.