Noob Rooting question

Last Updated:

1. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If the answer to this question exists on this forum already, my apologies (I've been unable to find it). I'm planning to root this weekend when I have a bit more time, but I have one question that I can't seem to find an answer to. I'm looking to root simply so I can take advantage of overclocking. I've been using Helix Launcher 2 and I'm loving it, so I don't really need any other bells and whistles. If all I want to do is overclock, is it necessary to use Bugless Beast, Cyanogen or other ROMS? I'm fine running Helix, I just want to increase speed. I might decide later on that a custom ROM or new boot animation might suite me, but for now it's all about speed. Is this even possible?

And, any suggestions as to the kernel I should use for this? From what I've read the P3Droids kernels are good and do well to keep temps at a minimum. Any others I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Advertisement
  2. King_Bean

King_Bean Well-Known Member

You don't necessarily have to flash a custom ROM. You can simply root and purchase SetCPU. It's just that simple. Of course, you will have to flash a different kernal but that is fairly simple. I can't recommend any kernals because I usually stick with the kernals that come with the ROMs.

Rodeojones likes this.
  3. Rodeojones

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that would be the answer.

A follow-up question...which custom ROMS support overclocking? (Should I later decide to go with one.)

4. Rodeojones

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that would be the answer.

A follow-up question...which custom ROMS support overclocking? (Should I later decide to go with one.)

5. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

Pretty much all of them... the OCing comes from the Kernal and can be used independent of the ROM... However most ROMs have an OCd Kernal included. Cyanogen (which I use) includes a stock kernal for stability purposes but you can flash a new kernal for OCing options (Bekits kernals work very well with Cyanogen)...

I would search around for kernals and read up on the different options out there...