Noob rooting

Last Updated:

1. Carl Gilroy

Carl Gilroy New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello. How are thee? Tis a glorious day to root.

I am interested in rooting my phone, actually, I'm sort of on the fence. I would like to learn more about it before I make any real decisions. With that being said, I have a few questions regarding the root of my Incredible.

Does the phone look/function differently when it is rooted? Is it basically the same except you have more freedom to change things?

If you use unrevoked, is there a good chance that it will mess your phone up?

Also, if the phone is rooted, is there only a chance to mess up the phone during the process of rooting it, or is your phone now susceptible to errors and crashing forever after the successful root?

If you root unsuccessfully, is there any way at all that you would be able to go back to before you tried to root it?

Lastly (this might be a dumb/obvious question), how do you know when you successfully/unsuccessfully rooted your phone? How do you know if you bricked your phone? I have an iPod touch that I tried to jailbreak. It was unsuccessful, but I did not mess up my iPod, it still works fine.

One more thing, I have a new MacBook Pro and the Incredible (obviously), can someone lead me to step by step directions for rooting using these two devices?

If there is anything else you think I should know, I will take it in and let it marinate. Goodnight and good luck with your future endeavors. May the wind always be at your back, and the xbox always in your shower. This is the last ride for those lonely blue horse shoes.

Advertisement
  2. kkl1993

kkl1993 Well-Known Member

some advantages are wireless tether, make your phone go faster, save lots of battery, remove pointless apps (i.e.- cityid, teeter and so on), and more.

i was a noob and this is my first Android phone ever. i used unrevoked3 and it was a piece of cake, just follow the directions and ur phone is rooted within 5 minutes or less.

Carl Gilroy likes this.
  3. kkl1993

kkl1993 Well-Known Member

if you use unrevoked3 it will say "Done" theat means your phone is rooted. if you go on ur phone after you root, scroll down in the app drawer and you should see an app called "Superuser". or you can just download a "Root Only" app from the market and see if it works.

If your phone is bricked, it means that you can not even turn on the phone. for instance, pressing the power button to turn on the phone and nothing ever appears.

there is a root thread here, it will tell you how. it is easier to root with a macbook then a windows according to unrevoked, but its easy either way.

follow this:
    Howto: Root the HTC Droid Incredible - Technology - Jonamerica.com

Carl Gilroy likes this.
  4. k_chupe

k_chupe New Member

I followed instructions but couldn't root. I have the 2.2 . Been trying for days it says device off-line

5. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

Hello. How are thee? Tis a glorious day to root.

I am interested in rooting my phone, actually, I'm sort of on the fence. I would like to learn more about it before I make any real decisions. With that being said, I have a few questions regarding the root of my Incredible.

Does the phone look/function differently when it is rooted? Is it basically the same except you have more freedom to change things?

Same except more freedom.

If you use unrevoked, is there a good chance that it will mess your phone up?

Nearly impossible to screw your phone up if you follow the directions you were given.

Also, if the phone is rooted, is there only a chance to mess up the phone during the process of rooting it, or is your phone now susceptible to errors and crashing forever after the successful root?

There is always a chance to mess up your phone if you are downloading custom ROMS etc.

If you root unsuccessfully, is there any way at all that you would be able to go back to before you tried to root it?

Yes, the new unrevoked method allows you to turn s-on and unroot.

Lastly (this might be a dumb/obvious question), how do you know when you successfully/unsuccessfully rooted your phone? How do you know if you bricked your phone? I have an iPod touch that I tried to jailbreak. It was unsuccessful, but I did not mess up my iPod, it still works fine.

Program says done or hboot screen says s-off

One more thing, I have a new MacBook Pro and the Incredible (obviously), can someone lead me to step by step directions for rooting using these two devices?

If there is anything else you think I should know, I will take it in and let it marinate. Goodnight and good luck with your future endeavors. May the wind always be at your back, and the xbox always in your shower. This is the last ride for those lonely blue horse shoes.

6. DINC INC

DINC INC Member

I'm a noob too, that just rooted today with Unrevoked3. This program ROCKS and makes it super easy. It was a 2 step process that basically just involves connecting your phone to your computer with a USB cable and a couple of mouse clicks. The hardest part is understanding some of the terminology. There are a LOT of resources out there (guides, FAQ, step by step instructions) so it should be VERY easy for you to root.

Very easy to root phone, almost impossible to brick your phone, phone looks and functions exactly the same, unless you change it to something else. When you finish rooting, Unrevoked 3 will tell you it's done. Wait until Unrevoked3 is back up on the website for the public to download and find a step by step guide that tells you how to do it with a Mac (I did it on a PC so the first step will be different from what I did)

I rooted my phone to use free wifi tether and to remove VZW and HTC bloatware. My phone functions and looks just like it did before.