• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Noob sez: Hi!

Hi,

I've been trying to get started learning Android for several months now and keep getting pulled back into the Microsoft's .Net world to deal with crises (real and imagined). I'm a consultant and I'm looking at the end of an assignment coming in a couple weeks and the prospect of at least several weeks of bench time. Perfect!

BTW: People tell me that, with my background, I should focus on the Windows 7 Phone. Is it just me or is that the ugliest interface ever?

So, one thing that I'm a little unsure of is the divide between Java, JavaScript and now Flash (in Froyo, right?) as being the platform of choice for app development. My orginal assumption was that Java was the way to go but I keep hearing references to the other two. If you go the JavaScript/Flash path, are there options besides being hosted in the browser? And are browser-based route, are apps (semi-)compatible with iPhone, Blackberry, etc.? I can't picture accessing the hardware features from the browser. Any adivice will be greatly appreciated.

Willie D.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones