• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Noob Wants to Install Fresh Android 4.2.2 on Stock Phone

ArcticJerry

Lurker
Feb 14, 2016
I've acquired an Android phone from China and it doesn't believe in Google. Can't access Google Play, etc.
So I believe I am going to have to wipe it and install a fresh OS. Since I've never done this before, it's a bit intimidating. I've researched on the web and everything I've found has been either for a specific model or frankly over my head. I'm an application programmer (though haven't done anything for mobile phones yet) so I'm not completely brain dead. I've dropped $60 on this phone, so if it's a loss, so be it. I've rooted it using MobileGo by Wondershare.

Phone2.png

Here are some specs:
Phone3.png

I would appreciate some advice on how to either enable Google Play access or noob level how-to's to blast it away and reinstall a fresh OS.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey Jerry, welcome to our AndroidForums! :)

I'm not familiar with that device, but our esteemed @mikedt might be.

FYI, I removed the link you had since it seems like it's on our forum's naughty list filters (i.e., you can tell from the asterisks that the site generated).

Cheers and best of luck!

Thank you! I noticed the link was naughty, so I took a screen shot of it. Hopefully that will be ok.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
One more observation with this phone.. When you go into settings and try to add an account, nothing happens. Click the Add Account and there is no response.

Yeah, that's probably because it wants to add a Google account and if your Google apps are not properly/completely installed, that part likely won't work.

Reactions: electricpete
Upvote 0
I googled " how to install Google play on Chinese phone" and found this xda thread,
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1874285
Thread starts in 2012 and has 6 pages of posts continuing through recent. Some indicate it didn't work and others show variations that worked for others.

I've researched on the web and everything I've found has been either for a specific model
Yeah, that's the way these things tend to work. What works on one probably won't work on the next. Which underscores the challenge in front of you. Good luck to you.

Upvote 0
I googled " how to install Google play on Chinese phone" and found this xda thread,
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1874285
Thread starts in 2012 and has 6 pages of posts continuing through recent. Some indicate it didn't work and others show variations that worked for others.

Yeah, that's the way these things tend to work. What works on one probably won't work on the next. Which underscores the challenge in front of you. Good luck to you.

UPDATE: So I went to the link you posted above. The phone doesn't allow me to browse using Windows Explorer, but I can browse it using MobileGo. Browsing only, adding files seems to be disabled on this phone. I could however install those three files using MobileGo. Installation seems to be successful, however the phone kept popping up errors saying "Unfortunately Google Services/Gmail/Google Play has stopped". But I could still add a Google account (between 'services have stopped' alerts). Now Gmail, Google Play show up. If I click on any of them, they start up but immediately shut down.

So we have progress. Could this be a permissions issue?

Upvote 0
I'd take a look here:
How to download apk from google play (on pc)

The first sub-link "What to do when Google Play isn't working" gives you link to the latest apk. You've got a very old one if you took it from beginning of that thread. There is lots of other advice on that thread of how to get google play service working and also second sublink Common Google Playstore errors and how to fix them

There's a lot of troubleshooting to be done to try to get play working. If all else fails and you can't get it working, you can use the instructions at the link to download apk's from google play onto your pc, then transfer them to your phone.

Upvote 0
I think it must be a permissions thing. I've managed to get the current Google Play apk installed. There was an antivirus/security app that came installed on it. I removed it and I was able to sign in to Google, but something keeps shutting the Google services apk down. I can now access/browse the phone on Windows now.

Upvote 0
You are probably right that getting play to work on your phone may require a lot more than just installing the google apk's. I did encounter this on my Kyocera Hydro Icon that whose google play (and gmail etc) originally worked fine and suddenly stopped working after an update:
http://androidforums.com/threads/google-play-services-crashing.948581/
There is a fix linked somewhere for that Kyocera phone that involves tweaking the system files (missing the file libpredtm.so in the /system/lib). So the google services do depend on something in the oem system files. I never ended up fixing my Kyocera phone since it it one of 4 spare android phones sitting on my dresser.

Again the last-resort option if your main interest is in getting google play apps, you can do that from pc as described in the link of my previous post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for your assistance. The good news is that the phone works fine. Internet, phone, texting. All fine. I just can't access Google Play to add any additional apps.

I think it's more political than licensing. Basically the Beijing govt. and Google don't agree with each other, and so most Google services are banned and blocked. As for the China phone itself, think it's already been covered in this thread, nothing any more I can add.

Upvote 0
You may be able to do something with the phone.....
I'm willing to bet that phone is running the same firmware and motherboard as many cheapie Chinese tablets out there.

First thing to do is find out what kind of board (like an Allwinner A* or Rockchip based) is running inside it. Try looking for an app online from Google Play called "Elixir2" You'll probably have to sideload it. Elixir2 or a similar app should identify board, GPS chip, camera, accelerometer etc. Another option is to simply Google the model, somebody has probably done all of the homework for you. Be careful with Elixir2, its easy to change something accidentally and end up bricked. Just look, don't change anything.

If it's any of the above mentioned boards, there are plenty of PC-based flash programs that could work with it, such as LiveSuit. Most generic tablets out there come equipped with dialer and cellular capability, when used with a dongle. You may also be able to directly flash tablet firmware to that phone. But don't try anything unless you do a system dump through ADB or if, you can find the flashable firmware files from the manufacturer as a safety net.

It takes some searching, but it may get you up and running. BE WARNED-

I've found that those tablets have a strange partition assignment, and you may also run into a locked bootloader. DO NOT try to flash any custom recovery to that phone unless you know what you're doing. Any firmware you get for that phone should be flashed with LiveSuit while in fastboot. Keep the original recovery on the phone and you're safe. Any error while flashing manually with ADB and it's a guaranteed perma-brick.

^^^That's only if you're attempting to try forcing Google onto the phone :)
You could also download 1Mobile Market onto the phone as well, to be less invasive. You can grab many apps from 1Mobile that are also on Google play, except for the apps that require Google Play Services, like youTube, Calendar etc. Just watch out for junk malware apps.

Upvote 0
BTW I just noticed your phone is running at a 240x320 resolution. Even if you managed to get full Google Play/Play Services on that phone you're not going to find many apps that support such low resolution aside from Google apps themselves. Play Store won't let you download due to display incompatibility. You're best bet is 1mobile.com with the phone's browser and it should install without sideloading.

Reactions: ArcticJerry
Upvote 0
BTW I just noticed your phone is running at a 240x320 resolution. Even if you managed to get full Google Play/Play Services on that phone you're not going to find many apps that support such low resolution aside from Google apps themselves. Play Store won't let you download due to display incompatibility. You're best bet is 1mobile.com with the phone's browser and it should install without sideloading.
Be warned about 1Mobile Market, it's full of pirated apps and games, which might contain malware, that can use root exploits and other nasties.

I certainly would NOT attempt to install this cracked game from it...
788f60cc90220ff794b58f5fa49c690f.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones