• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Noob who lost root after OTA

Jbwalton

Lurker
Mar 25, 2013
Greetings all. I'm a noob who recently rooted my Pantech Marauder phone. I rooted using ICS Root Unlocker 1.0. After the recent Verizon software update OTA this week, I no longer have root on my phone.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could go about restoring root access to my phone?

I tried the factory reset; however, it resets to the new OTA update. ICS root does not work anymore.

[HIGH][/HIGH]failed on '/data/local/tmp' - Permission denied
link failed File exists
Press any key to continue . . .
/system/bin/sh: cannot create /data/local.prop: Permission denied
uid=2000(shell) gid=2000(shell) groups=1003(graphics),1004(input),1007(log),1009
(mount),1011(adb),1015(sdcard_rw),3001(net_bt_admin),3002(net_bt),3003(inet),300
6(net_bw_stats)
remount failed: Operation not permitted
failed to copy 'files\su' to '/system/xbin/su': Read-only file system
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/su: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/su: No such file or directory
Removing changes except ROOT...
rm failed for /data/local.prop, No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/local/tmp, Permission denied
failed on '/data/local/tmp.bak' - No such file or directory
Installing superuser...
failed to copy 'files\superuser.apk' to '/system/app/superuser.apk': Read-only file system
Press any key to continue . . .[HIGH][/HIGH]

I've also tired Z4Root, and that doesn't work either.

This post here seems to indicate that folks aren't having much luck with flashboot, either: http://androidforums.com/marauder-a...attempting-develop-clockworkmod-marauder.html

Any thoughts? Or, do I need to wait and see if there is a new exploit and tool that comes out later on down the road?

Thanks!!!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones