Noobie Questions:

Last Updated:

1. isty_szy

isty_szy New Member This Topic's Starter

hello i just brought an HTC Desire and i was reading the forums about rooting your phone, but there are some questions i did not find an answer to:

1. If i root my phone is there any way to make a backup of your ROM / boot loader so that if you have problems with your phone you can come back to the original ROM/loader. ( to avoid warranty problems)

2. What is the worst that could happen if things go wrong while attempting to root the phone.

3. can you use partitions on SD card without root, to install programs on EXT3 Linux partition on froyo?

My major concern is loosing warranty.

thanks
    isty

Advertisement
  2. DragosP

DragosP Active Member

1. Find RUU from your phone.
    2. Nothing, I think, if you have an amoled version. For rooting, if you use unrevoked, all will be very easy.
    3. Without root, no chance. Without root, you may use the native method of Froyo to use the card.
    Yes, if you root the phone, you will lost the waranty, but with RUU you can restore it to original.

3. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

1. To be clearer on the previous post, you first want to make that the ROM your Desire is currently on. To see what ROM you're currently running, go to Settings>About phone>Software information. Then, go here and see if you can find the RUU that matches your software version:

Index of /shipped/Bravo/

(should it ask for username/password they're both shipped)

If the ROM you're running on IS available then download it and keep it safe as you can run this in future if you need to return the Desire for warranty purposes.

isty_szy likes this.