• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root noobish question

bbuck002

Android Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2010
Buffalo
So, I got my insurance replacement phone today, and everything is going well reinstalling everything, except for one thing. How do I install z4root if I can't get to the root of sd? I've got the .apk from XDA but I can't remember how to install from my computer to the phone. I never had to worry about this before cause my phone was rooted when z4 was still in the market.

Thanks in advance.

and an aside. I'm shocked at how laggy the X is without having it ROMed. I just want my setup back....:D

So, I got my insurance replacement phone today, and everything is going well reinstalling everything, except for one thing. How do I install z4root if I can't get to the root of sd? I've got the .apk from XDA but I can't remember how to install from my computer to the phone. I never had to worry about this before cause my phone was rooted when z4 was still in the market.

Thanks in advance.

and an aside. I'm shocked at how laggy the X is without having it ROMed. I just want my setup back....:D

If it's on your SD Card then you just use the stock Files application and browse to the .apk file and install.

Upvote 0
Yes, use your stock file program to locate it, then install it. Reboot, then select permanent root.

In settings-applications, you'll need to check off 3rd party programs and under settings-applications-development, you'll need check off debugging. Good Luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones