nook color has been rooted, can't believe no threads on this

Last Updated:

1. boatman

boatman Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

There was huge excitement on this for the past weeks as this nice inexpensive e reader is now a fully functioning tablet.

How come no one is excited or showing the love here. I think this is huge, but maybe I am missing something?

Advertisement
  2. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

That's pretty darn cool...if I had a nook I would do it. But the excitement isn't there because there are other real tablets available for that price range. I really like the display though!

3. ChudleyOne

ChudleyOne Well-Known Member

What other capacitive screen tablets are out there for $249? with 512MB RAM & 8GB internal memory? I'm torn between this or the Adam now but this is looking pretty sweet for the price & stats right now.

EDIT for stats grab:
    CPU TI OMAP 3621 ARM Cortex A8-based 800MHz
    802.11n/g/n WiFi adapter
    512 MB RAM
    8 GB internal storage memory
    1024 x 600 capacitive touchscreen VividView LCD
    Height: 8.1 inches
    Width: 5.0 inches
    Depth: 0.48 inches
    Weight: 15.8 ounces
    8 hours rated battery with the WiFi turned off
    mono speaker
    3.5 mm stereo headphone jack

4. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

I'm curious about the answer to that as well.

5. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

I'm curious about the answer as well. There are other tablets in that price range, but none with the specs of the Nook.

6. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

If archos doesn't get off their butts and get the 70 rolling, I will jump on a nook color once there is a rom making it a full tab.

7. MoCoTerp

MoCoTerp Member

I have similar stats on the Cruz Tablet I picked up at Borders. Seems to be already rooted according to some apps I have. Still, would love an alternative ROM or something. No GPS or Cell Network, so alot of apps wont work on it. Sideloading is easy though.

8. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

Yeah that does look pretty similar. The Cruz does have a lower resolution screen and Android 2.0 though.

Personally, I think now is the wrong time to buy an Android tablet. There will be much better ones coming out in a few months and the prices will drop as well because of all of the competition.

9. boatman

boatman Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I only brought this up as I really want a 10" with 3.0. Those wont be out until March earliest, and having worked in high tech for the past 25 years, this really means June.

The Galaxy tab has everything, but at $500, I don't feel like spending that on an intermediate device.

The nook, now that it is rooted, is half that price, and I bet, depending upon how it does, might be $199 after xmas.

Agree, it doesn't have everything, but at half the price of a tab, it looks really attractive as an interim device. If somebody can tell me of another device with these specs for this money, pls post.

10. Hajile_Ibushi

Hajile_Ibushi Well-Known Member

No bluetooth, no hdmi, no usb host, heavy, 800mhz, 480p, no camera, mono speaker.

$299
    ARCHOS

$275
    ARCHOS

11. mindwave

mindwave Well-Known Member

haijile,

but have the Archos actually arrived? I'm not seeing any in retail and hearing very little that have shipped.

BTW: The FlatPad A10T once again a NO SHOW with NO DATE

However they DO have another pad similar specs from another manufacturer that they will send you........

12. Spookymonster

Spookymonster Member

The Archos 70 (if you can even find one) is $25 more than the NookColor. For that extra money, you get:
    - a worse screen (only 800x480)
    - less memory (256Mb)
    + Bluetooth
    + camera
    + a better CPU (1Ghz)
    + sideloading/Market easier (arguable)

The Cruz Tablet looks like a combination of the worst parts of the Archos and the NookColor. For $300 ($25 more than the Archos), you get:
    * the NC's CPU (800Mhz)
    - Android 2.0
    * the NC's memory (512Mb)
    * the Archos' screen (800x480)

I'd say given all the prices and specs, the Cruz comes out as the clear loser (possibly barring the G-Tab).

13. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

I should not have mentioned "for that price range". haha. :p

Those specs are sweet for that price. And the dev support adds more value. If you already have the nook, this is great news. If I was looking for an E-reader, this is the one I would totally get. But if I were looking for a tablet then I would probably go for the Archos, ZT-180, and maybe the Cruz (but not likely). I believe they are under $300.
    I'm a little skeptical as to how much they can squeeze out of the nook which was designed as an E-reader first. The screen and RAM on the Nook is superb but, IMO, the screen and RAM do not determine on how functional a device can be.

As an interim device this would be ok especially for web browsing and some multimedia functions.

I can't wait to see what crazy things the XDA devs do with this device.