• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root nook color has been rooted, can't believe no threads on this

What other capacitive screen tablets are out there for $249? with 512MB RAM & 8GB internal memory? I'm torn between this or the Adam now but this is looking pretty sweet for the price & stats right now.

EDIT for stats grab:
CPU TI OMAP 3621 ARM Cortex A8-based 800MHz
802.11n/g/n WiFi adapter
512 MB RAM
8 GB internal storage memory
1024 x 600 capacitive touchscreen VividView LCD
Height: 8.1 inches
Width: 5.0 inches
Depth: 0.48 inches
Weight: 15.8 ounces
8 hours rated battery with the WiFi turned off
mono speaker
3.5 mm stereo headphone jack

Upvote 0
What other capacitive screen tablets are out there for $249? with 512MB RAM & 8GB internal memory? I'm torn between this or the Adam now but this is looking pretty sweet for the price & stats right now.

I have similar stats on the Cruz Tablet I picked up at Borders. Seems to be already rooted according to some apps I have. Still, would love an alternative ROM or something. No GPS or Cell Network, so alot of apps wont work on it. Sideloading is easy though.

Upvote 0
I have similar stats on the Cruz Tablet I picked up at Borders. Seems to be already rooted according to some apps I have. Still, would love an alternative ROM or something. No GPS or Cell Network, so alot of apps wont work on it. Sideloading is easy though.
Yeah that does look pretty similar. The Cruz does have a lower resolution screen and Android 2.0 though.

Personally, I think now is the wrong time to buy an Android tablet. There will be much better ones coming out in a few months and the prices will drop as well because of all of the competition.

Upvote 0
I only brought this up as I really want a 10" with 3.0. Those wont be out until March earliest, and having worked in high tech for the past 25 years, this really means June.

The Galaxy tab has everything, but at $500, I don't feel like spending that on an intermediate device.

The nook, now that it is rooted, is half that price, and I bet, depending upon how it does, might be $199 after xmas.

Agree, it doesn't have everything, but at half the price of a tab, it looks really attractive as an interim device. If somebody can tell me of another device with these specs for this money, pls post.

Upvote 0
I'm curious about the answer to that as well.

No bluetooth, no hdmi, no usb host, heavy, 800mhz, 480p, no camera, mono speaker.

I only brought this up as I really want a 10" with 3.0. Those wont be out until March earliest, and having worked in high tech for the past 25 years, this really means June.

The Galaxy tab has everything, but at $500, I don't feel like spending that on an intermediate device.

The nook, now that it is rooted, is half that price, and I bet, depending upon how it does, might be $199 after xmas.

Agree, it doesn't have everything, but at half the price of a tab, it looks really attractive as an interim device. If somebody can tell me of another device with these specs for this money, pls post.

$299
ARCHOS

$275
ARCHOS

Upvote 0
The Archos 70 (if you can even find one) is $25 more than the NookColor. For that extra money, you get:
- a worse screen (only 800x480)
- less memory (256Mb)
+ Bluetooth
+ camera
+ a better CPU (1Ghz)
+ sideloading/Market easier (arguable)

The Cruz Tablet looks like a combination of the worst parts of the Archos and the NookColor. For $300 ($25 more than the Archos), you get:
* the NC's CPU (800Mhz)
- Android 2.0
* the NC's memory (512Mb)
* the Archos' screen (800x480)

I'd say given all the prices and specs, the Cruz comes out as the clear loser (possibly barring the G-Tab).

Upvote 0
I should not have mentioned "for that price range". haha. :p

Those specs are sweet for that price. And the dev support adds more value. If you already have the nook, this is great news. If I was looking for an E-reader, this is the one I would totally get. But if I were looking for a tablet then I would probably go for the Archos, ZT-180, and maybe the Cruz (but not likely). I believe they are under $300.
I'm a little skeptical as to how much they can squeeze out of the nook which was designed as an E-reader first. The screen and RAM on the Nook is superb but, IMO, the screen and RAM do not determine on how functional a device can be.

As an interim device this would be ok especially for web browsing and some multimedia functions.

I can't wait to see what crazy things the XDA devs do with this device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones