Root Nook Color. Root?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by flaskmaster, Dec 17, 2012.

1. flaskmaster

flaskmaster New Member

Dec 17, 2012
    First of all, I just want to say hello. I found this forum today when I was investigating options for a nook color.

My mother in law purchased the nook color for her grandson. We had a sleepover a month ago and the nephew absolutely LOVED our Kindle Fire. He played Plants vs Zombies, Angry Birds, etc for hours. She had asked me if I could install these games on the nook for her.

Now, I have very little experience in rooting. I have extensive experience with computers. I spent a few hours reading some posts and the stickies, but nothing I read gave me an absolute answer on which option to take when it comes to this.

Basically, all I want to do is install these games for him. When I got the nook, I updated the OS to 1.4.3 from 1.3. Now I think that may have been a mistake.

I do like the Amazon market on my Kindle. If that's possible to add that as well for the free games, that would be great too.

I have a 2gb microsd card to work with. Luckily I had a spare laying around.

I would also like it to still be able to get into the B&N market, so when new games come out, they can simply grab them, but it's not necessary.

Which option would be the best for me, since all I intend to do is install a few games and things such as YouTube for a little boy?

I thank you in advance.

-Flaskmaster

Advertisement

2. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    flaskmaster and tube517 like this.
  3. flaskmaster

flaskmaster New Member

Dec 17, 2012
    Thank you colchiro, you seem to be somewhat of a legend here :)

I'll check out some of the comments because I now have 1.4.3. I doubt there is much of a difference from the updates, but I want to be sure before I run thru the process.

I just hope that, by the end I can install apps and zip files without any issues.

I'll post my results.

4. colchiro

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Hope it works out for you. I don't have much experience with rooting or stock B&N roms tho.

5. bobstro

bobstro Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2010
    Definitely check out the latest procedure for newer ROM versions over at XDA. That guide was written for 1.4.2, and very likely, a few things have changed. I've dumped the B&N firmware myself in favor of CM10, so haven't been keeping up with the latest changes.

6. colchiro

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Hi Bob,

You're running CM10 on the NC or another device? :D

7. dparrothead1

dparrothead1 Member

Mar 4, 2012
    none
    N. E. Florida
    XDA has CM10 and PA running extremely smooth on the Nook Color. Both are 4.1.2.

IMHO, PA seems to be a little smoother right now. But, as they say....different strokes.

Anyone with a Nook Color needs to check this out! :)

8. tube517

tube517 Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    USA
    PA is really good on the NC. I was happy that I flashed it. I've been using my NC more lately. :D