Normal Battery temp?

Last Updated:

1. Chillout

Chillout Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Jan 19, 2010
    Is there a "normal" operating temp that the battery should be at? Obviously it's going to be alittle warmer if you're actively using the phone either just talking on it or multi tasking with various apps. When the phone is just sitting in my case, or charging up home out of the sunlight of course, is there such a thing as a normal temp? Ive noticed my resting phone to sometimes have a temp of 70 degrees and other times it's around 85? I use Batterylife, which incidentally works quite well as an accurate count of how much is remainig.

2. kct1975

kct1975 Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Funny that you asked. I was wondering the same thing. I too have noticed that the battery temps in my HTC EVO tend to run anywhere from 90 to 102 F indoors when I am surfing the web or using an app. My device battery especially seems to get hot when I am charging and using the device at the same time.

From everything I had read in the various posts on the subject it seems that any battery temp under about 120 F is "Ok" and will not harm neither your Android Device nor your battery.

Personally my only advice would be that if a warm or hot batter compartment bothers you or concerns you, that you limit your use of your device while it is charging to shot tasks. Otherwise it seems from everything that I have read, that unless your battery temp gets above 120 F, your Android device us fine.
  3. BmanCV60

BmanCV60 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    I too have been wondering the same thing. My Droid has been running (what to me) some high temps, up to 114F. Had gone back to a Froyo build from GB since on my phone it just works better, and noticed the temps rise when I'm actively using naturally but never that high. I had blamed Swype, PowerAmp and Maps, but there were also several apps that run updates (Pandora, Facebook and Amazon MP3) when I'm trying to do things bringing the poor phone to a grinding halt. I've removed Facebook and frozen the other two since I didn't use them much. Now I'm trying different kernels to see if one will run cooler on average than the rest, but knowing a "baseline" temp would be nice.