"Normal" phone?

Last Updated:

1. lcgreen

lcgreen Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well, I'm pretty new to this stuff, but I've had a question in my head for a while...I'm pretty sure I won't word this correctly.

Do these phones work on SIM cards ? By that I mean, say, you buy a phone (any, Hero, Desire, X10, Liquid etcetc), can you just put in a SIM card in it, and it'll work like your old phone? Can I use pre-paid on these?

I'm thinking of getting one of these phones, but I don't really want to join a plan...Also, if I import a phone from another country, can I just use it as long as my country has 3G? (Australia) I also want to retain my old number, which is another reason...

Advertisement
  2. Ghâshûl

Ghâshûl Well-Known Member

In short yes. There are phones for the american market that doesn't use SIM's and are incompatible with GSM networks, but most Androids seem to be GSM phones. In that matter, they're like any other GSM phone, so you can get a contract, you can get a prepaid SIM, or whatever you like.

You need to make sure the phone supports the 3G bands of the operator you want to use. I don't know how it is in Australia, but here in Denmark they all use the same bands, so you can use any phone on any network.

3. adi19956

adi19956 Well-Known Member

In the UK we have two bands... but most phones here work on both. I'd be careful about importing phones if you want your 3G to work, do some research

4. adi19956

wth just realised this is a year old... silly mobile app :)

5. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Still useful for those few that bother to search before asking.

6. adi19956

haha yeah, it was right at the top of the list, didn't look at the date :)