1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Normal Sprint messaging app annoying me

1. Herofreak

Herofreak Active Member

Ok I have tried using handcent and it was ok but was too slow on my phone and it bugged me so i went back to the sprint one. I have probably got close to 5000 or 6000 text messages saved in the inbox. Is this way too many? If so how much can it handle and it wants to force close alot but that might have to do with the enourmous amount of texts

Advertisement
  2. hotpinklovee

hotpinklovee Member

I had the same problem. What you need to do is download SMSQuickDelete in the market. Then, delete the largest threads, one thread at a time. It's extremely slow. What I did is turned it on right before I went to bed and then when I woke up it was deleted. Since you have a lot, you may have to do this for more than one night. Then, once you get down to 1000 or so texts in your inbox, you can delete them using the standard messaging. It doesn't take very long at all to use the regular messaging one once you get your text number down. I also feel like the general speed of my phone was a little quicker once I had less texts.
  3. Herofreak

Herofreak Active Member

ok I will have to try this. And also I heard from someone that you start getting issues around 2500 messages. Is this true?
  4. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Well-Known Member

Keep your message threads small. I try to keep mine at no more than 500, but really I think anywhere between that and 1000 is OK. Before I deleted all of mine and started keeping the threads low, I was over 3k and it killed my Hero. The lag for everything was ridiculous. After deleting them the phone ran much smoother.
  5. phynias

phynias Member

grab autodeletesms in app store (free)
    you can set it to delete posts older than X days and it does its thing in the background everyday. i haven't noticed any slowness from it and it keeps my messages pruned without me having to worry about it.
  6. MarkHirt

MarkHirt Guest

I guess someone needs to ask the question..

Why do you need to keep them?
  7. V425

V425 Well-Known Member

If you do have texts that you want to keep then a good app is SMS Backup that automatically saves them to your gmail account so you can delete them from the phone
  8. zx12richard

zx12richard Well-Known Member

A text hoarder? I mean this in the nicest possible way but why in the f@ck would anyone save 5 to 6 thousand texts. Of the context important copy and paste In a notepad
    Hell I don't see how you would ever find the one you need with that many.
  9. V425

V425 Well-Known Member

I think a lot of people just expect that the old ones will automatically delete like on most phones... but girls can be sentimental, LOL, I know I save everything from my boyfriend (its nice to go back and read some of them now that he's deployed)
  10. zx12richard

zx12richard Well-Known Member

There's reasonable logic in that.
  11. cisco2

cisco2 Member

I like to keep a lot of my text messages. When I first started using the Hero I went up to around 3500 and noticed a little bit of lag.

I went to the Market and downloaded SMS Back-Up. It will save them in an SMS folder in your gmail.

Once backed up, you can access them from your phone or PC.
  12. cisco2

cisco2 Member

I'm sorry...I didn't see that SMS Back-Up was mentioned...I was scanning to fast :D
  13. barnacles

barnacles Well-Known Member

I mention this in every thread, but no one bites. If youre ok with not having fancy smansy avatars in every text and you are more interested in speed and usability try the stock android app. I can delete a thread of 500 texts instantly