• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Not able to make calls

yellowking

Lurker
Jun 16, 2014
I have had a look across Google and this site but can't see the same problem replicated.

I bought an S4 off someone as not working. Nice and cheap so I thought it would be worth a go.

The issue is this - I put a Sim in and it shows H+ or 3G and downloads data on the phone Network but cannot make/receive phone calls or texts.

When you call the number it says Calls are not currently accepted by this number. I put my sim back in another phone and it's fine.

Could this be a setting issue? I have tried to alter the Network settings but it just keeps the spinner up. Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

Sounds like the 2G radio or the modem firmware. (I'll bet you can't text either.) If flashing the modem doesn't work (you can get the Odin ROM from SamMobile Firmwares and just flash the modem file), you probably have defective hardware. Considering that the S4 is still worth good money, it would probably still pay to have it repaired.

Reactions: yellowking
Upvote 0
Sounds like the 2G radio or the modem firmware. (I'll bet you can't text either.) If flashing the modem doesn't work (you can get the Odin ROM from SamMobile Firmwares and just flash the modem file), you probably have defective hardware. Considering that the S4 is still worth good money, it would probably still pay to have it repaired.

Thanks for your reply

Your Correct I can't text either.

I have reflashed the Complete firmware including the Modem file and sadly it's still doing the same. It seems weird how it downloads internet content but not able to make calls/text on the same Network as the internet.

If it's a hardware problem I am more than capable of replacing the relevant part. If you could point me in the right direction of which part controls whats not working I'd be grateful.

Upvote 0
Speak to the person you got it from. If was sold as not working. Maybe the problem you're having is the reason why it was sold. You my have to send it to Samsung repair.

Or maybe your settings are wrong check with network and get settings

I'll speak with Virgin although the settings seem to download fine to the phone after a reset.

It was sold with this problem but there has to be a reason why it's doing it. And I was hoping with the help of others I might be able to get it fixed hence asking the experts here.

It's not unlocked as when I put my 3 Sim in it comes up as invalid Sim. Maybe I'll just use it as spares as it looks brand new apart from this issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones