Not all external battry chargers are fully charging the battery!!Accessories

Last Updated:

1. stanglifemike

stanglifemike Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, we think we can just buy an external battery charger and our charging problems are solved. Right? Wrong!! I recently noticed that when charging in one of my external chargers that the battery didnt seem to last as long as when it was charged in my dock with external battery charger. I can charge the battery in my external charger, and I guess once the light changes telling you that it is charged - thats it, it does not charge anymore as a safety feature (which is nice, if it was actually fully charged!!). I can leave it in there for hours after the fully charged light comes on, put the battery in my dock with external charger, and it immediately starts charging it(red light showing that it isnt charged, green light once it is charged).
    Didnt know if you guys knew about this or not, but it sucks that you may think that your using an external charger and getting all that you can out of your battery when really you would get hours more battery life with a different charger. Hope this helps some of you out!!

The charger that IS NOT CHARGING the battery fully:

[​IMG]

The charger that IS FULLY CHARGING the battery:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next test for me will be to charge the battery in the external charge(that isnt fully charging) and then put the battery in the phone, turn on the phone, then dock it and see if it starts charging or not. Would be crazy if it starts charging in the dock with the phone on, when it should be charging much more in an external. Not that it will matter for me as I am about to order another dock just like the one I have and toss the cheapo in the trash, or maybe just in a drawer just in case for an emergency...

Advertisement
    neoshi likes this.
  2. stanglifemike

Sorry if this info is already here on the forums, I did not see it anywhere. I always see people recommending an external charger, now we'll know which ones work and which ones dont.

If any of you have multiple external chargers then please test them out also and post your results, with pics, in this thread. This will help out a lot of members to know which ones to buy.

3. edlex

edlex Well-Known Member

I use the seidio external charger and it actually charges better than the phone.

4. stanglifemike

Yes, most external chargers do charge better than the phone. It is a well known issue with the Evo. Even other brand wall chargers charge the battery better than the HTC wall charger that comes with the Evo. This info is showing those that know about the issue and use and external charger, that not all of them are doing what they are suppose to do.

5. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

I'm actually in the process of sending this same charger back because it doesn't work at all

6. neoshi

neoshi Well-Known Member

Interesting... though that reinforces what I've been noticing lately. I thought I was just using my phone more but maybe that's not it. The first charge lasted longer than the charges after, though I can still get through a whole day of heavy use and 2-3 days of light to medium use. So you're saying I could potentially have a longer lasting battery if I switched to the dock charger eh? Hmmm... going to order one tonight to test! Thanks for the info!

7. stanglifemike

Yup, quite possibly a longer charged battery with a different charger!!

I was wondering why my phone was lasting as long as it used to. I installed System Panel and started seeing if an app was eating my battery. Logged everything with the app for 3 days straight, then it hit me. I've been using the small charger at work and not charging with the dock which I keep on my nightstand at home. So I took the small external charger home one night after work. Charged a battery in the small external charger. Took a "fully charged" battery out of the small external charger and placed it in my dock, light turns red and it starts charging. When it was done I put the fully charged battery in my phone and experienced a longer life that I was used to from weeks past. I would have never suspected the external charger as my problem, but glad I though about it and tested it out

8. zzephr

zzephr Member

I have this cheap eBay charger, it works fine

9. novarider

novarider Well-Known Member

Maybe you have a bad one. Mine charges fine

10. 5maximus71771

5maximus71771 Well-Known Member

Been contemplating that seidio external charger,I've ordered one of those $2.50 hongkong external chargers as well but it doesn't seem to ever fully charge.

11. novarider

novarider Well-Known Member

Maybe these chargers are like the extended batteries. Sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you get a bad one.

12. stanglifemike

^Could be. And unless you have a second one, you may not even know that you are not fully charging the battery. Like I said, you wont know it isnt fully charging it unless you have a second external charger to verify it. This one charged untill the light turned blue (meaning fully charged), and my phone showed 100% when I put in the battery.....but it was not really fully charged.

13. liveitlive

liveitlive Member

Question!
    Users of this particular charger. Do you guys charger your phones via USB on this charger? I ask b/c when I go to charge my phone via USB when it's plug into the wall my touch screen doesn't work and goes all crazy on me and can't use the phone properly but the original HTC charger doesn't do that at all and I can still use it when its charging. You think it's defective?

14. SDbirdman

SDbirdman Active Member

Mine does the exact same thing. i dont think its defective. also my charger fully charges my battery.

15. stanglifemike

I use mine with a wall charger and not usb.

SDBirdman: How do you know it fully charges the battery?