Not connecting to WiFiSupport

Last Updated:

1. Xandareth

Xandareth New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, Look, I'm having an issue with my new Desire HD in that it won't connect to my home Wifi. It can find the network no problem and select it, but after I type in the password it says "Disconnected" then seems to go through Disconnected-Scanning-Connecting-Disconnected loop without letting me know whats happening. Initially I thought to myself "Perhaps it doesn't like WPA2", so I completely opened up the network. Then after scanning, it was showing on the phone that the network was still WPA/WPA2. I tried connecting to it anyways but it still asked me for a password and wouldn't let me through without one. Thinking something funky must have happened, I restarted the phone but it didn't change anything. Anyone have any idea's as to what I can do?

Advertisement
  2. AndrizzleHD

AndrizzleHD Well-Known Member

Dumb question but is anyone connecting any other devices with your wifi? Another thing are you near to the wifi spot because I noticed sometimes disconnect messages have to do with a weak signal.

3. Xandareth

No other device would have been connected to the WiFi and the phone was right next to the router.

4. dvhttn

dvhttn Well-Known Member

Try 'forgetting' the wifi spot at home then re-scanning. Or maybe your password went in wrong? (Capital instead of lower-case letter perhaps?). Simple things first ....

Dave

5. Xandareth

I've attempted both things. It's not a password issue as it tells me almost straight away that it can't connect when I type the incorrect password as opposed to doing the loop.

6. dvhttn

dvhttn Well-Known Member

You haven't got mac filtering setup on your router as well have you? That would give the symptoms you have.

Dave

7. Manojchandra

Manojchandra New Member

I spent a long time sorting this, like post above. I Amin the same boat, ie unable to connect. Any help?

8. WeBlah

WeBlah Member

This is just what I was thinking - I had the same symptoms on mine, until I remembered I had MAC filtering set up

9. Mowgwai

Mowgwai New Member

I'm stuck with the same problem. WiFi works fine on my home network but not at the office. I was connected fine before the latest update but now it only loops and sucks up all my battery. After searching through internet I've noticed that there is quite a lot of people having the same problem.

10. Manojchandra

Manojchandra New Member

I am really frustrated now. I must have put the correct pw at least 100 times, but still it says incorrect password! Any help will be appreciated. Someone has suggested changing channel on router, but don't know how.

11. dvhttn

dvhttn Well-Known Member

You'll need to login to your router to do it I suspect.

Dave

Manojchandra likes this.
  12. PopTarantula

PopTarantula Guest

I had probs setting up wifi on home router caused by my preference for HIDDEN SSID (no broadcast) & use of Access Control (MAC Address).
    Maybe some of this is relevant to you or others posting here.

I have Netgear Router - preselected channel 6 / Mode: Auto 108Mbps
    (although seen some advice to use g only, this works 4 me just fine)

I downloaded & installed Hidden SSID Enabler (Free App from Market)

Logged In to Netgear router setup - Wireless Settings
    Turned Broadcast SSID ON
    Turned Access Control OFF

At this point, I chose to assign my DHD a fixed local IP (LAN IP Setup), but this is not essential

My SSID appeared in list so I selected it & entered PSK - CONNECTED to network

Ran SSID Enabler (enter SSID & clicked Enable)

Refreshed Router Setup

My DHD now showed in Access List - Available Stations so I could then ADD it
    If not displayed, you should be able to Manually Add
    MAC Address is on Wireless & networks >> Wi-Fi Settings >> menu >> Advanced

Once DHD MAC.Add in Access List, Access Control turned ON & Broadcast SSID OFF

Works like a charm.

13. WeBlah

WeBlah Member

14. dvhttn

dvhttn Well-Known Member

Interesting. I don't hide my SSID but then the only security I have is mac address filtering. Plus I changed the default password on my router. Why *only* this? As in the real world where I live, at the end of a private (and small - just 4 houses) cul-de-sac, my wireless signal travels only very faintly outside of my house. Which means that you'd have to be standing outside my front door to even have a chance of seeing my network and the neighbours would be a tad suspicious. So, add that vanishingly small chance of someone trying to access my network who shouldn't be, mac address filtering adds another, maybe easily circumvented maybe not by the person outside my house, level of protection.

My point? Enable more security in densely populated areas but if you live in the middle of nowhere why bother?

Dave

15. PopTarantula

PopTarantula Guest

You are referencing articles written 2-5 years ago (XP/Vista territory)... larf!
    Things have moved along since then... but thanks for heckling. L

The reason not to Hide was simply that if you have access to both Visible & Hidden in same location, windows would primarily connect to the visible - even if 'connect when not broadcast' is checked..
    If your Hidden is the preferred Access point, then clearly this is not good... but we digress. :backtotopic:

The above process was intended for anyone with DHD & similar setup/needs, but it applies in part as much as full.

I did say it was MY preference.. not a security measure so hope I made that clearer this time.
    Same as dvhttn, security is what MAC.Adds & PSKs are for.

16. punk_19

punk_19 Well-Known Member

guys.. i have managed to connect to my home network.. d fone says connected to wifi with an excellent signal strength.. but still somehow i can't connect to any website neither do any of d apps detect d connection.. hw can i sort it out????

17. Keldraxas

Keldraxas New Member

Just quickly popping into this thread to say I spent about an hour playing with my router as I had the same issue with the DHD seeing the Wireless fine but looping round in the 'connecting / disconnecting' way.

As stated above it doesn't seem to like hidden SSIDs. As soon as I stopped mine bing hidden and rebooted the router it connected straight away.

Netgear DG834G in case anyone's interested.

18. sannesley

sannesley Member

Unfortunately I don'yt know if anyone is in the same boat as me with this problem. I have to hide my SSID or my Vista laptop which connects wirelessly will default the network to public and I'm stiff with local access only on the laptop with no connection to the internet.

To get around this problem I hide the SSID and shile it's hidden basically remove the existing network on the laptop and set it up again and hey voila problem sorted.. for the laptop that is, because when the SSID is hidden my Desire cannot connect using WiFi. :(

19. Riekertvv

Riekertvv New Member

Hi Guys! Same issue as the first post.

Problem is SSID is not hidden, mac is set up in mac filtering rule on the Netgear, but still it loops. Checked the wireless key, connected 4 kindles to it without a prob. My DHD just doesn't want to connect, I checked and rechecked mac, key, ect and no luck... anyone got a answer to weather the DHD can use mac filtering? as I cannot disable this function on my router (security reasons)

Thanx in advance

20. WeBlah

WeBlah Member

21. FredIsDead

FredIsDead New Member

Hi I think I have the solution for this. It worked for me after I faced this same problem on my HTC Incredible S. Here's what to do:
    Go to your wireless routers settings panel look for a header called "Wireless MAC Filter" (it might have an alternate name on your router, mine is a Linksys) Under there you have the option to DISABLE the Wireless MAC Filter. Click on that, then click Save Settings, and you should be DONE!

Hope it works where you are!

22. VincentVespa

VincentVespa New Member

Solution: Can't find the link but this worked for me to solve this problem. Change the channel that your router is broadcasting on. If three are too many networks in the same bandwidth Android seems to have trouble. You can use the free app wifi analyzer to see where the free bandwidth (channels) are. Hope this helps!

steven ellingson likes this.
  23. letmehelp

letmehelp Member

Hm unsure about some phones,however on my lg optimus p970, i found how to fix this. I simply went to settings-->applications-->manage applications-->go on some of them for example market and click clear data, or whatsapp also clear data, (dont worry you can get back all your chats etc) , and so on, dont matter which ones you clear.
    Than check whether the wi fi now works, this happens to me non stop, My opinion on Iphone was very pooor but after getter Android I believe that Even samsung tocco lite is better than those expensive phones haha , unfortunetly It doesnt look like im going to get a new phone as i had 2 iphones, and android in the last 2 months. FML