• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Not enough screens and multi-touch.

I have been using my brother's X10 for almost one-and-half month now. The thing which I like most about this phone is its looks, it's got killing looks. Secondly, with time I have observed the following things:

1- Three screens don't seem to be enough.At least I think so, because so many times I wished to put some widgets outside but then I had to remove my favorite icons of games and mostly used apps. This didn't impress me. Yeah, I know, I can create folders and put my fav apps in them. But, somehow, three screens aren't enough. What about HTC Desire, that has got 7. Nice!

2- Multi-touchA heavily debated issue. Even I myself wasn't bothered about its absence. But last night I saw a game for Blackberry - here is the link Watch Tank Recon 3D for the BlackBerry Storm2 Action Videos; Promo: First 500 Customers Save $2! | CrackBerry.com - and I strongly felt that even if this game were present for Android, X10 owners wouldn't be ever able to play that due to absence of multi-touch and from this point this looks a great drawback in X10. What do you think?

Too be honest 3 Homescreens is a limitation on Android 1.6 and when we get 2.1 then we get more homescreens but like ^ Chris above me mentioned you could just download a free app like Home++ and get 7 home screens now!.

As for Multitouch and games well yes its true no Multitouch means its a disadvantage as far as games go but Android is not the best Mobile OS for games at the moment anyway and i am sure many X10 owners did'nt buy the X10 to play games, I know i did'nt.

Everything else about multitouch though i find overated and i find it no disadvantage not to have it for anything else on the phone.

Upvote 0
Too be honest 3 Homescreens is a limitation on Android 1.6 and when we get 2.1 then we get more homescreens but like ^ Chris above me mentioned you could just download a free app like Home++ and get 7 home screens now!.

As for Multitouch and games well yes its true no Multitouch means its a disadvantage as far as games go but Android is not the best Mobile OS for games at the moment anyway and i am sure many X10 owners did'nt buy the X10 to play games, I know i did'nt.

Everything else about multitouch though i find overated and i find it no disadvantage not to have it for anything else on the phone.

Okay. It's fine if this is 1.6 limitation. But seriously, first, I didn't think that there were good games for Android as are for Apple but I was very pleased to see some really good ones, especially some car racing games, they run perfect on X10. It's just that when more developers start developing complex games, X10 will be left behind. Anyways, multi-touch is not an issue at all for me but I was a bit worried for three screens because I am going to place order but was confused b/w Desire and X10. Main reason to go for Desire was extra screens. But now in September when 2.1 will come for X10, it'll be solved.

Upvote 0
If you want more screens, download the Home++ app. It gives you up to 7 screens, is free, and works quite smoothly. I've been using it ever since I bought my x10 and have never wanted to uninstall it. I believe there are also alternative apps such as Panda Home or aHome, but I haven't used them so I can't say how good they are.

Upvote 0
WHAT? I heard, sorry, read somewhere that SE is providing 2.1 in September. December is too late; by that time HTC will have launched 2.2 on Desire.

Q4 means either October/November/December.

So far SE have said we are getting 2.1 with some extra bits like HD Video Recording but since 2.2 isn't out yet and Q4 is still some time off then they could still suprise us at the last minute and give us 2.2 ?, that might be wishfull thinking but who knows what will happen until it happens.

Just look at it like this if you simple must have the lastest updates asap get a Nexus One.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones